We’re proud to welcome students from all over the world to La Trobe. To help all our students succeed academically, we have English language requirements for entry into our courses.
We have minimum language requirements for undergraduate, postgraduate and graduate research study at La Trobe. However, some La Trobe courses need a higher level of English language proficiency than these minimum scores.
Our course pages list the required English levels and accepted test methods needed for entry. If you know the course you want to study, you can search for your course and check its specific entry requirements.
Once you know your course’s language requirements, look through this section to see the ways you can prove your English language proficiency.
Any scenario that isn’t outlined in the pages in this section will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Accepted alternatives to IELTS test scores
While IELTS scores are our primary measure of English proficiency, we may accept tests other than IELTS if your overall score is the equivalent of the required IELTS score.
Once you know your course’s minimum accepted IELTS score, check that score against the information below to see its equivalent score in other English proficiency tests.
|International English Language Test (IELTS) Academic||IELTS Overall 6.0, no band less than 6.0||IELTS Overall 6.5, no band less than 6.0||IELTS Overall 7.0, no band less than 6.5||IELTS Overall 7.0, no band less than 7.0||IELTS Overall 7.5, no band less than 7.0|
|United Kingdom Visa and Immigration International English Language Test (IELTS)||IELTS Overall 6.0, no band less than 6.0||IELTS Overall 6.5, no band less than 6.0||IELTS Overall 7.0, no band less than 6.5||NA||IELTS Overall 7.5, no band less than 7.0|
|Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE)|
Pearson Test of English (PTE) Overall score of 46 with no communicative skill score less than 46
Pearson Test of English (PTE) Overall score of 56 with no communicative skill score less than 46
Pearson Test of English (PTE) Overall score of 66 with no communicative skill score less than 56
|Overall score of 65 with no communicative skill score less than 65|
Pearson Test of English (PTE) Overall score of 76 with no communicative skill score less than 66
|TOEFL Internet based (iBT) - test taken prior to 26 July 2023||Overall score of 64 with 13 in Reading, 12 in Listening, 18 in Speaking and 21 in Writing||Overall score of 79 with 13 in Reading, 12 in Listening, 18 in Speaking and 21 in Writing||Overall score of 94 with 19 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 20 in Speaking and 24 in Writing||Overall 98 with 24 in Reading, 24 in Listening, 23 in Speaking and 27 in Writing||Overall 102 with 24 in Reading, 24 in Listening, 23 in Speaking and 27 in Writing|
|Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) / Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)||169 with no less than 169 in any component||176 with no less than 169 in any component||185 with no less than 176 in any component||NA||191 with no less than 185 in any component|
Note : Not all courses accept alternatives English test. Please check ‘ courses with specific English test requirement’
Courses accepting IELTS test only
- Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Dietetics (Honours)
- Bachelor of Early Childhood and Primary Education
- Bachelor of Education (Primary)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary)
- Bachelor of Educational Studies
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Oral Health Science
- Bachelor of Orthoptics (Honours)
- Bachelor of Paramedic Practice with Honours
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Podiatry (Honours)
- Bachelor of Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Master of Teaching (Primary)
- Master of Teaching (Secondary)
Courses accepting IELTS and TOEFL test only
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology (Honours)
- Master of Dietetics
- Master of Speech Pathology
Courses accepting IELTS, TOEFL and PTE test only
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Bachelor of Nursing (Enrolled Nurse)
- Bachelor of Nursing (Graduate Entry)
- Bachelor of Social Work (Honours)
- Master of Clinical Audiology
- Master of Clinical Psychology
- Master of Occupational Therapy Practice
- Master of Physiotherapy Practice
- Master of Social Work
- La Trobe only uses IELTS academic test for entry into our courses.
- Where you have results from more than one of these English language tests, only your most recent single achievement will be considered in our admission decision.
- If you qualify from a La Trobe program and intend to gain professional registration to become a practitioner in Australia, you may need to meet the relevant professional accrediting agency’s English language registration standard.
- Your evidence demonstrating English language proficiency must be no older than two years, unless stated otherwise.
- We reserve the right to require that any applicant undergo an English language test.
- You’ll still need to meet the academic entry requirements of your course. Specific requirements may differ between degree programs, so check our courses page for details.
- **Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE) updated their IELTS equivalency as of 1 December 2020 for more information, visit the Pearson website.
English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) are designed for students who require English language training before they commence tertiary study in Australia.
Find out more about the La Trobe approved ELICOS programs available at La Trobe College Australia.
Other proof of English proficiency
We may also consider other factors when assessing if you meet the language requirements for your course, such as whether you’ve studied or worked in an English-speaking country.
Learn more about other ways to meet our English language standards.