Elite athlete support and scholarships
We are committed to providing elite athlete students assistance and support to successfully combine their academic and sporting pursuits.
In addition to academic and pathway support, our Elite Athlete Program members may also be eligible to apply for specific athlete scholarships and grants.
We offer full support to our LEAP athletes, especially within the following areas:
- academic case management, including assistance with:
- flexible assessment
- alternative exam arrangements
- Grants and scholarships for sporting endeavours and university fees
- High-performance services including strength & conditioning coaching
- Nutrition screenings and support
- Gym membership and access to sporting facilities
- Elite Athlete Program apparel
- Assistance with university entry pathways and credit transfer arrangements.
The program also provides help and training to support your career once you finish competing, including:
- Professional development workshops
- Access to industry networks through our sporting partnerships
- Advice from La Trobe expert academics in sports and health.
The La Trobe Elite Athlete Support Fund (EASF) has been established to support student athletes in pursuit of their sporting endeavours, whilst undertaking tertiary study. The fund aims to provide financial support to our athletes in the form of one-off grants towards the costs incurred to the athlete associated with elite competition.
The level of funding an athlete will receive will be assessed in reflection of the representative level and location of competition. Students can receive up to $2000 for international competition, with tiered funding beneath this for national and state competitions.
All funding will be paid as a reimbursement, following the completion of competition, and submission of a competition report.
Please visit the EASF Application page for more information and instructions on how to apply.
If you're a year 12 or IB student enrolling at La Trobe and competing at a state, national or international level, you may be eligible for the Michael Malthouse Elite Sport Scholarship which offers a financial scholarship to help with your first year at university.
Value: $10,000 (1 year duration)
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must:
- Be studying Australian Year 12 or IB in 2022, and intending to enrol in an undergraduate
- Bachelor degree course at a La Trobe campus in Semester 1, 2023
- Demonstrate high academic achievement
- Demonstrate high achievement in their chosen sport
- Be supported by referee reports
Applicants must also apply to the La Trobe Elite Athlete Program.
Please visit our scholarships section for more information.