Accelerated Completion Program (ACP)
Have you been doing your PhD for years already and are still not finished? Ready to commit to designing and implementing a plan of attack to make progress on your PhD and submit? Wondering where the passion for your research has gone? Struggling to find the time to write around work/kids/carer responsibilities?
At Research Education and Development (RED), we understand the complex nature of life as a PhD candidate. We’ve designed a program that acknowledges that complexity and helps you implement realistic strategies to help you progress with your research.
The ACP is an eight-week support program for final-stage PhD candidates who may be at risk of not completing in a timely manner.
What is ACP?
In the eight-week Accelerated Completion Program, participants will:
- create an individual completion plan to identify specific academic and/or personal barriers that are affecting progress
- develop practical skills and long-term strategies to overcome barriers
- make contact with others experiencing similar challenges and benefit from peer learning and support
- attend a full day of workshops on skills needed for PhD completion, including: time- and self-management, thesis writing, working effectively with supervisors, and avoiding procrastination
- meet with an ACP coach once a week during the program for ongoing support. Coaching sessions do not replace supervision meetings and focus on skills and strategies, not the candidate’s research
- attend a mid-point workshop to understand the process for submitting your PhD thesis, get further training and stay on track
- attend a final session at the end of the eight weeks to celebrate successes and make the most gains from the program going forward.
The ACP provides extra support to candidates who need it. The program does not replace supervision or override the importance of the academic unit in which the candidate is enrolled.
ACP coaching focuses on accountability, time-management, motivation and support, and will not include disciplinary advice pertaining to the research itself. Meetings can be face-to-face or virtual (by phone, Zoom or video-conference).
Am I eligible for ACP?
You will have normally completed at least 2.5 years (FTE) of candidature, and the program is most effective if you are in the last 6 months before you intend to submit your thesis.
ACP accountability coaches will be GRS academic staff from a different discipline to yours.
|Date and time||Workshop|
|Wednesday 24 March|
10:00 AM till 4:30 PM (AEDT)
|Workshop 1: Planning|
|Thursday 22 April|
9:30 AM till 12:30 PM (AEDT)
|Workshop 2: Checking in|
|Tuesday 11 May|
1:00 PM till 4:00 PM (AEDT)
|Workshop 3: Next steps|
How to apply
Applications for ACP are now closed.
Please get in touch with the RED team at email@example.com if you have any questions.