This decision is effective from close of standard operating hours on Friday March 20 2020. This includes all activities (apart from teaching or research activities) that involve the use of the following facilities on the Bundoora campus:
> La Trobe Sports Stadium
- Indoor courts
> Indoor Sports Centre
- Indoor court hall
- Fitness studios
- Tennis Courts
- Squash Courts
- Swimming pool
- Rock climbing wall
> La Trobe Sports Park
- Lower Playing Field
- Baseball Diamond
- Tony Sheehan Oval
- Synthetic Football Pitch
This cessation of activity affects the following users:
- All La Trobe University sport clubs and university sport-related activity using any La Trobe University campus facility for training or competition
- External hirers and regular user groups using La Trobe Sports Park facilities
- Sports Centre members and users of the gym, fitness studios, pool or courts
- External booking holders for birthday parties, school groups, swim school, school holiday programs or other ad-hoc facility bookings for March and April
Each user group will be contacted directly by La Trobe Sport staff to provide further details.
The decision will be reviewed weekly as the COVID-19 situation develops over the coming weeks. For more information on the University's response to COVID-19, please see the regularly updated FAQs.
For more information on how the closure of our facilities and programs will specifically affect our La Trobe Indoor Sports Centre members, affiliated clubs and other user groups, please consult the FAQs below.
Frequently asked questions relating to La Trobe Sport and COVID-19
Q: Is La Trobe University shut?
A: No, La Trobe University is continuing teaching and research activities. For more details on La Trobe’s response to COVID-19 please refer to the central website - https://www.latrobe.edu.au/about/novel-coronavirus
Q: How long will La Trobe Sport facilities and programs be closed?
A: La Trobe Sport facilities and programs will be closed until Tuesday 28 April. This will be reviewed on a weekly basis and may be subject to change
Q: Can I personally use the sports fields and grounds of the La Trobe Sports Park?
A: If you choose to come onto the Sports Park whilst it is closed it is at your own risk and La Trobe is not liable for any injury or illness that may occur as a result. Please observe any signage in regards to field maintenance closures.
Q: Where can I access student welfare resources during this time?
- Student counselling and mental health resources - https://www.latrobe.edu.au/students/support/wellbeing/counselling
- Resources and links to broad wellbeing information and resources - https://www.latrobe.edu.au/students/support/wellbeing
- Medical services near La Trobe campuses - https://www.latrobe.edu.au/about/novel-coronavirus/further-covid-19-information-and-resources
- If students are concerned they may have COVID-19 they should call their GP or the specific hotline that has been set up – 1800 675 398
Q: Does La Trobe Sport have any general health and wellness advice or resources they can provide whilst facilities and programs are closed?
AFFILIATED SPORTS CLUBS
Q: Can LTU Club Members still access La Trobe facilities?
A: All indoor facilities will be closed and formalised training sessions will be postponed. Outdoor facilities can be accessed at a club member’s own risk and La Trobe is not liable for any injury or illness that may occur as a result. Please observe any signage or communications in regards to field maintenance closures.
Q: Are any UniSport events, such as the University Nationals standalone events or the University Basketball League going ahead?
A: Please refer to the UniSport announcement regarding COVID-19
MEMBERSHIPS & PASSES: HEALTH, FITNESS & AQUATIC
Q: Will I be getting a refund for my membership/pass or Health & Fitness program offering?
- All memberships* will be placed on suspension at no cost for the period that we are closed. Should you wish to extend your suspension period, please email email@example.com
- International students who have been required to return home will be provided a refund on their membership, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, email address and membership type.
- *Accommodation Services memberships will not be placed on suspension during this time. All residential students will be emailed separately outlining your membership offers/additional information regarding compensation for your membership.
- Unless a program has been cancelled entirely, all programs are simply on hold and those who have purchased packages will be notified of the new program dates
Q: I purchased a casual, 5 visit or 12 visit pass. Will I be refunded?
A:We are extending all expiry dates on our casual passes purchased to ensure you can still attend once we re-open.
Q: When will the gym, pool, and studios be re-opened?
A: At this point in time (19/03/20) we will be reopening as of April 28 2020. Please keep an eye out on our La Trobe Sport Facebook page, La Trobe Sport Instagram account and your emails for any notifications regarding potential changes to this date.
Q: What if I want to keep exercising?
A: Yes, please do! We are currently working on a series of at home workouts/meditation/mobility sessions that you can access during this time. Please keep an eye on our social media channels and emails for further information.
Q: Will I be getting a refund if I have booked my child/children into a program?
A: If your program has been cancelled and not postponed, we will be in contact with you regarding refund options.
Q: If I cancel my booking for a birthday party can I have my deposit money refunded?
A: Please don’t hesitate to contact email@example.com in order to reschedule your birthday party celebrations. We would still love to host your birthday party for your child! If this is not suitable and you wish to cancel your booking you will be entitled to a full refund of your deposit.
USER GROUPS & BOOKINGS
Q: When can existing user groups have access to sport facilities and grounds at La Trobe?
A: All La Trobe Sport facilities and programs will be closed until Tuesday April 28. This will be reviewed on a weekly basis and may be subject to change
Q: Can I book La Trobe sport facilities or grounds later in the year?
A: Please refer to our booking form to make an enquiry - https://www.latrobe.edu.au/sport/facilities/enquiry-form