Rental resources

External assistance

La Trobe Student Legal Service

The La Trobe Student Legal Service is a partnership between La Trobe University and West Heidelberg Community Legal – a service of Banyule Community Health.

The service provides free and confidential legal help to students enrolled at La Trobe University across all campuses.

Government support

  • Rent assistance provides financial help if you are paying rent and receiving a Centrelink payment. Open to Australian residents. Eligibility criteria apply.
  • Utility relief scheme offers support if you find that you are unable to pay utility bills due to a temporary financial crisis. Open to Australian residents, eligibility criteria apply.
  • You may be able to borrow money through a Bond Loan Scheme if you are on a low income and can't afford to pay the bond for a rental property. Eligibility criteria apply.
  • The Housing Establishment Fund may be able to help you if who are homeless or in a housing crisis. Eligibility criteria apply. For advice on HEF phone 1800 825 955.
  • MoneyHelp is supported by the Victoria and Australian Governments and offers help if you are struggling with bills, debt and ongoing expenses.


The content on our website is intended only to provide a summary and general overview on matters of interest. It is not intended to be comprehensive, nor to constitute legal advice. You should always obtain legal or other professional advice, appropriate to your own circumstances, before acting or relying on any of that content. Your use of this website, and your reliance on its content, is entirely at your own risk.