Guided tours (day or night)
Take your kids, club or group on a guided tour through one of Melbourne's hidden treasures - the River Red Gum woodlands and wetlands of the Wildlife Sanctuary.
Come on either a day or nocturnal night tour to discover our plants and animals up close.
A high proportion of Australia's unique wildlife is nocturnal and emerges only at night. So if you want to see them you'll need to venture out into the dark. Discover a whole different world! We'll hopefully see possums, bats, birds, the odd gecko and other local wildlife out here in the bush.
Our guide will walk with your group through the Sanctuary and using spotlights, you will be able to spot some of our night-time creatures, whilst also learning about what we do and about the animals that live in this area.
Bookings are essential.
|Child (under 15)||$10.00|
|La Trobe Staff and Students||$15.00|
|Free entry for children under 3 when accompanied by a paying adult|
|Discounts apply to group bookings. Mention this website to receive a $5.00 discount on adult tickets - type 'WILD' into our online payment system to receive a discount (not to be used in conjunction with other offers).|
NB: Please note that prices are subject to change.
When do tours run?
Tours run all year round on the third Wednesday of every month, and on Wednesdays that fall in the school holidays. Group bookings are welcome and alternate evenings can be arranged, depending on numbers.
- Wednesday 16 November 2016, 8.30pm
- Wednesday 21 December 2016, 9.00pm
- Wednesday 11 January 2017, 9.00pm*
- Wednesday 18 January 2017, 9.00pm
- Wednesday 25 January 2017, 9.00pm*
- Wednesday 15 February 2017, 8.30pm
- Wednesday 15 March 2017, 8:00pm
- Wednesday 5 April 2017, 6.30pm*
- Wednesday 12 April 2017, 6.30pm*
- Wednesday 19 April 2017, 6.00pm
- Wednesday 17 May 2017, 6.00pm
- Wednesday 21 June 2017, 5.30pm
- Wednesday 5 July 2017, 5.30pm*
- Wednesday 12 July 2017, 5.30pm*
- Wednesday 19 July 2017, 6.00pm
- Wednesday 16 August 2017, 6.00pm
- Wednesday 20 September 2017, 6.30pm
- Wednesday 27 September 2017, 6.30pm*
- Wednesday 4 October 2017, 8.00pm*
- Wednesday 18 October 2017, 8.00pm
- Wednesday 15 November 2017, 8.30pm
- Wednesday 20 December 2017, 9.00pm
*denotes additional school holidays tour.
What do I need to bring?
No equipment is required but we recommend that you dress appropriately for the weather – preferably wearing comfortable shoes and long pants.
It is not necessary to bring a torch as there is enough ambient light to navigate.
Why not treat your club, extended family or group to a guided tour of the La Trobe Wildlife Sanctuary. Day tours can be arranged for any day, anytime and are a great way of learning about the Melbourne region's natural history. Tours can be run for groups of 10 or more people. Minimum charges apply.
Group numbers and cost
Each daylight tour costs $140 and has a maximum of 25 people per tour.
Please note: smaller groups are welcome to take a self-guided tour through the Sanctuary between 10am - 3pm. There is gold coin entry and maps available at the entrance to the Sanctuary.
Bookings are essential.
*No equipment is required but we recommend that you dress appropriately for the weather – preferably wearing comfortable shoes and long pants.