From representing the green and gold on the international stage through to impressive achievements on the domestic front at home, LEAP members have experienced plenty of success in recent months.
The LEAP program is proudly supported by TechnologyOne, and helps to identify, promote and support the needs of elite athletes studying at university by providing them with assistance and support to successfully combine their academic and sporting pursuits . The value of combining sport and higher education is well recognised across the university and sporting sectors, which is why La Trobe is committed to helping elite athletes undertaking study with the University.
View the full list of LEAP athlete achievements in the third quarter of 2023 below:
- Josh Kemeny - Debuted for the Australian Wallabies in July against Argentina and selected in the Wallabies for the Rugby Union World Cup campaign in France.
- Kiera Austin - Member of the 2023 Netball World Cup winning Australian Diamonds in South Africa in August. Was also named MVP in the Grand Final win against England.
- Amy Lawton - Along with the Hockeyroos, has qualified for the 2024 Paris Olympics.
- Sophie Reinehr - Represented La Trobe and Australia at the World Uni Games in Chengdu, China.
- Sophie Kurzman - Selected to represent Victoria's open women's side at the Australian Lawn Bowls Championships.
- Paige Zois - Called up by the Young Matildas to attend a Youth Camp in Italy.
- Kaelan Boundy - Selected for the HC Melbourne squad in the HockeyOne (National Hockey League).
- Niyousha Shabani - Gold medal at the State Poomsae Selections to qualify for the Australian Taekwondo Nationals in Perth.
- Caitlin Laird - Represented Australia at the Canada Cup, her first open women's Australian team selection.
- Thomas Alisandratos - Won the U21s players Player Award at Western United Football Club.
- Arabella Green - Travelled to France and Andorra to represent Australia in 3 DHI Mountain Biking and has now been selected to compete at the World Championships.
- Stephanie Hibburt - Raced in the La Monsterrato World Series Gravel Race in Italy, covering 125kms in five hours.
- Cody Cuthbert - Won the 2023 Victorian Division 1 Pennant Championship.
- Bronwyn Cashin - Was drafted for the Inferno team for the inaugural Pro Winter League.
Special mention also to Piper Dunlop, Caitlin Richardson, Marcus Newnham, Kayla Smit, Iman Zayat, Po Pang, Niyousha Shabani, Thomas Alisandratos, Cooper Coulding, Jacob Ohrt, Marija Lukic and Coby Cuthbert who all represented La Trobe at the recent UniSport Nationals on the Gold Coast, scoring 15 medals between them.
For more information on the La Trobe Elite Athlete Program, visit the La Trobe Sport website.
Main Image: Josh Kemeny in action for the Melbourne Rebels earlier this year (Image Supplied: Melbourne Rebels).