12 members of the LEAP program swapped their usual sporting apparel for gowns and mortarboard hats as they graduated from La Trobe University this week.
Through LEAP, La Trobe is committed to ensuring that elite student students are supported in their sporting and academic pursuits in order to reach success in both disciplines.
This year’s graduates depart with a wide variety of academic qualifications and an impressive amount of experience behind them.
🎓@AUSParalympics star Ahmed Kelly today added another accolade to his shining medal collection — a Bachelor of Arts!— La Trobe University (@latrobe) December 15, 2021
Kelly is not only a legend in the pool but has been an exemplary role model for all our Elite Athletes. Congratulations! https://t.co/1XycHy0vJ0 #LaTrobeAlumni pic.twitter.com/Okt8YxGkLu
La Trobe’s Representative Sport & Elite Athlete Officer, Pippa Temperley, has praised the graduates on their resilience and determination in what has been a tumultuous couple of years.
“It is great to have such a strong cohort of graduates in 2021,” Temperley said.
“Despite many setbacks over the past two years, these athletes have managed to succeed both academically as well in their sport.
“La Trobe Sport is proud to have such a high calibre of students graduating our program and look forward to welcoming them into our alumni cohort.”
Congratulations to 2021 Elite Athlete Graduates:
- Emma Butler (Athletics): Bachelor of Applied Science and Master of Clinical Prosthetics and Orthotics.
- Dalton Di Medio (Athletics): Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science
- Hannah Gandy (Inline Skating): Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Arts
- Esther Herry (Skipping): Bachelor of Biomedicine
- Ahmed Kelly (Swimming): Bachelor of Arts
- Samantha Kelly (Gridiron): Bachelor of Education (Secondary)
- Lionel Mawditt (Cycling): Bachelor of Applied Science and Master of Physiotherapy Practice
- Louis Mott (Judo, main picture above): Bachelor of Exercise Science
- James O’Donoghue-Hayes (Kayaking): Bachelor of Arts
- Brooke Patterson (Australian Rules Football Coach): Doctor of Philosophy
- Liam White (Cycling): Master of Occupational Therapy Practice
- Yosafe Zakoulouta (Taekwondo): Bachelor of Laws