Centre for Data Analytics and Cognition (CDAC) hosted the 2019 annual analytics celebration event on 27th of November 2019 at the Pavilion, Melbourne Art Centre. This was to celebrate high achieving students in our Master of Business Analytics course and to showcase some of the great work of CDAC researchers and PhD students in 2019. The event was attended by staff, postgraduate and PhD students, alumni as well as industry partners.
The event opened with a welcome speech from the Associate Head of La Trobe Business School, Professor Matthew Nicholson. Professor Nicholson reflected on the journey of the digital world and posed the question of “Why do we attend University to obtain a degree while there are so many online education providers?”. The answer was to have the opportunity to build personal networks, collaborative relationships and to learn from your peers. This statement received a round of applause from the audience as a sign of agreement.
Dr. Jojo Wong, Business Analytics Program Director, highlighted the key achievements in 2019, namely the increasing enrolment numbers and being one of only two universities in Australia who received QS University ranking in business analytics. Dr. Wong thanked industry partners SAS Australia and NORTH Link for being the Award Sponsors and for their ongoing support in the course.
Professor Damminda Alahakoon, CDAC Director, delivered the last speech of the night. Professor Alahakoon provided an overview of CDAC activities and achievements in 2019.
There were 10 student awards presented on the night for outstanding performance in business analytics studies.
The Award Winners are:
CDAC Award for Outstanding Overall Performance in Business Analytics – Kriti Chhabra.
- Tarang Piyushkumar Shah –Best Performing Student in BUS5PA Predictive Analytics
- Ishant Dhall – Best Performing Student in BUS5VA Visual Analytics
- Jason Kreitner – Best Performing Student in BUS5AP Analytics in Practice
- Himanshu Thukral – Best Performing Student in BUS5CA Customer Analytics & Social Media
- Subarnaram Ekambaresan – Best Performing Student in BUS5PR2 Analytics Project
La Trobe Awards
- Raviraj Kakati – Best Performing Student in BUS5DWR Data Wrangling and R
- Luke Boreham – Best Performing Student in BUS5PB Principles of Business Analytics
- Prashorst Meas – Best Performing Student in BUS5PR1 Analytics Project.
- Abishek Chitrasekhar – Best Performing Student in BUS5WB Data Warehouse and Big Data
It was a wonderful night for past and present CDAC students to network and mingle with our dedicated staff and valued industry partners