We’re here to help you settle into life in Australia.
We know that arriving in a new country can be daunting. That's why we hold several events before the semester begins, where you’ll be able to meet fellow students and learn more about studying at La Trobe. You’ll also find information below about finalising your study timetable and enrolling in your subjects.
We hold a pre-orientation trip the weekend before our official orientation program. It’s a great way for you to see more of Victoria, meet other international students and prepare for university life. We’ll send you more information about the pre-orientation trip once you’ve been accepted into your study abroad or exchange program.
We hold a special orientation for all international students. A number of important and compulsory information sessions will be held during this period. Please make sure you arrive in Australia in time to attend it. You’ll be able to get help with your enrolment, meet teaching staff and make friends with fellow students.
All incoming exchange and study abroad students must attend the welcome and information session after the pre-orientation trip. In the session, we'll discuss:
- important details about being an exchange or study abroad student at La Trobe
- what you need to fulfill as part of your program
- how to navigate your semester.
You'll receive the details as part of your offer and acceptance pack or closer to your arrival.
In some instances, you may experience issues with your subject choices. Your subject(s) may no longer be running, you might have a timetable clash, or you might have changed your mind about what you want to study. If this happens, you’ll need to follow the instructions below.
- You must ensure you have activated your online enrolment before any changes can be made
- Check your letter of offer to make sure you’ve been approved for alternative subjects
- If you have approval:
- ensure you have enrolled online first
- submit a variation of enrolment via your student online account to delete the subject you wish to discontinue and add the subject you want to study (please ensure you provide the pre-approval evidence by attaching your offer letter).
- If you don’t have approval:
- check whether your alternative subject has prerequisites
- if your subject doesn’t have prerequisites:
- ensure you have enrolled online first
- submit a variation of enrolment via your student online account to delete the subject you wish to discontinue and add the subject you want to study (ensure you attach an up-to-date copy of your home university transcript).
- if your subject does have prerequisites:
- email the course/subject coordinator for approval to enrol in the subject (make sure you attach a copy of your official transcript)
- enrol in your other subjects while you wait to hear back
- if the relevant coordinator approves you, submit a variation of enrolment via your student online account to delete the subject you wish to discontinue and add the subject you want to study (upload the approval email as confirmation of approval for the variation).
You can access the Variation of Enrolment form in the ‘Enrolment’ tab of StudentOnline.
You can use the University timetable to find out when and where your subjects are being taught.
All incoming exchange and study abroad students must attend the Compulsory Academic Seminar, which generally occurs in the second or third week of classes. In the session, we’ll explain the differences between studying in Australia and other countries, share tips for succeeding at La Trobe and show you how to find help if you need it. We’ll email you more details about the Compulsory Academic Seminar after the Orientation and enrolment period.
Need to know what you can bring to Australia, what sort of health insurance you need, how our currency and banking works, or how to access information about your visa? We’ve compiled some information to help you prepare for your arrival to Australia.