2018 Confucius Institute Scholarship Program
In order to support development of Confucius Institutes, promote Chinese language and Chinese cultural, cultivate qualified Chinese language teachers and talented students of Chinese language, Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches the “Confucius Institute Scholarship” program for providing
sponsorship to students, scholars and Chinese language teachers of other countries to study at Chongqing University.
We provide HSK training courses, which assist performance on the HSK and HSKK tests required for many of these scholarships.
Please read the application procedure information below carefully.
Categories and Eligibility
2018 Confucius Institute Scholarship Categories are:
|Scholarship for Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) Students|
Commences September 2018 and provides scholarship for maximum two academic years. Applicants shall be Bachelor degree holders, and have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 5) as well as 60 in HSKK test (Intermediate Level). Applicants who are able to provide notarized document of the employment agreement or related proofs upon completing study in China are preferred.
|Scholarship for Bachelor's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL)|
Commences September 2018 and provides scholarship for maximum four academic years. Applicants must have graduated with a high school diploma, , and have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 4) as well as 60 in HSKK test (Intermediate Level).
|Scholarship for one-Academic-Year Study Students|
Commences September 2018, and provides scholarship for maximum 11 months. International students currently studying in China are not eligible.
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 270 in HSK test (Level 3), while HSKK test score required.
2. Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, and Chinese Philosophy
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 in HSK test (Level 4) and 60 in HSKK test (intermediate level).
3. Chinese Language Study
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 in HSK test (Level 3 level).
|Scholarship for One-Semester Study Students|
Commences either in September 2018 or March 2019, and provides scholarship of maximum 5 months. Applicants withholding visas X1 or X2 are not eligible.
1. TCSOL, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 210 in HSK test (Level 3), while HSKK test score required.
2. Traditional Chinese Medicine and Taiji Culture
HSK test score are required.
|Scholarship for Four-week Study|
Commences either on July or December of 2018, and provides a four-week scholarship. Applicants withholding visas X1 or X2 are not eligible.
1. Traditional Chinese Medicine and Taiji Culture
HSK test score are required.
2. Chinese Language plus home-stay Experience in a Chinese Family
HSK test score are required. Organized and applied by a Confucius Institute with 10-15 participants per group. Prior to the trip, a detailed study plan shall be made after consultation with host institutions and submit to Hanban for approval.
3. Special Four-week Program for Confucius Institutes
HSK test score are required. Organized and applied by a Confucius Institute with 10-15 participants per group.
All applicants shall be:
- Non-Chinese citizens
- In good Physical and mental condition, well performed both academically and behaviorally
- Aspired to take future careers on the teaching or international promotion of Chinese language.
- Between the ages of 16-35 on September 1st, 2018. Applicants currently worked as Chinese language teachers shall not exceed the age limit of 45, while undergraduate students shall not exceed the age limit of 25.
Majors, Host Institutions and Admission
Chongqing University is entrusted as the host institution of the scholarship which provides subjects including Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages, and Chinese Language.
Admission for students of MTCSOL is in September; admission for one-Academic-Year Study, and one-Semester Study is either in September or in March of the following year. Chongqing University receives four-week study students in group (10 minimum), and the students' Confucius institute needs to arrange the time with Chongqing University and apply to Hanban 3 months in advance.
Scholarship Coverage, Criteria and Academic Assessment
The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance (four-week study students are excluded) and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
- Tuition fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide teaching and management of scholarship students organizing cultural and social activities, as well as organizing Chinese language proficiency tests. Tuition fee does not cover the textbook expenses and tourist tickets.
- Accommodation fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide students with in-campus apartments (usually double rooms). Students may also live off-campus upon application and getting permission from the host institutions. Students who live off-campus are entitled to accommodation allowance of 700 CNY per person/month paid on a monthly / quarterly basis from the host institutions.
- Living allowance is granted by host institutions on a monthly basis. The monthly allowance for undergraduates, one-academic-year study students and one-semester students is 2,500 CNY per person. For MTCSOL student, the monthly allowance is 3,000 CNY per person.
Students are required to complete enrollment procedures for every semester within stipulated period; otherwise, their scholarship may be cancelled. Students who are enrolled before the 15th (or on the 15th) of the month are entitled to the full allowance of that month while those enrolled after the 15th of that month are only entitled to half of the amount.
During the study period, for any student who is absent from China due to personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding winter and summer holidays), the allowance during absence will be suspended.
For students who suspend study or drop out of school for personal reasons, or who are given disciplinary punishment by the host institutions, allowance will be terminated on the date of such suspension, dropping out or when the decision of such punishment is announced.
The living allowance for the month of graduation will be granted half a month after the date of graduation or expiration day of the study confirmed by host institutions.
Comprehensive medical insurance is purchased by the host institutions in accordance with relevant regulations of studying in China stipulated by the Ministry of Education of China. Insurance fee per person is 160 CNY for four-week study students, 400 CNY for one-semester students, and 800 CNY per year for students engaged in program longer than one academic year.
Online registration will be available from March 1, 2018 on the Confucius Institute Scholarship website (cis.chinese.cn). Please log on to search recommending institutions and host institutions, upload application materials online, track the application progress, feedback of review and admission results. Scholarship holders need to confirm with the host institutions to go through the procedures of studying in China, print out CIS certificate online, and register at host institutions at the designated date and time as per the letter of admission.
The application deadlines are
- April 20th (for those commencing in July)
- June 20th (for those commencing in September)
- September 20th (for those commencing in December)
- December 20th (for those commencing in March 2019)
Hanban will complete the scholarship review and notify the results two months before enrollment of the admitted students..
- CHINESE BRIDGE AWARD RECIPIENT POLICIES
Chinese Bridge winners who have been awarded the 2018 “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate” shall log onto the scholarship website and submit documents to relevant host institutions upon presentation of their CIS certificates. Please contact email@example.com for inquiry.
- ADMISSION AND CONSULTATION SERVICES
Recommending institutions and host institutions are responsible for issuing local enrollment guide and provide consulting, recommending and registering services in accordance with this procedure.
a) For major training plans and courses, please contact designated host institutions
b) Applicants shall be familiar with the specific criteria and closing dates for registration, and follow specific procedures to submit necessary documents
c) Degree students shall accept the annual assessment under the Annual Appraisal Procedures of Confucius Institute Scholarship
d) Those who failed to register on time, failed to pass the health assessment, dropped out midway and/or suspended will be deprived of scholarship.
1. Incomplete or unqualified applications will not be processed.
2. Applicants will be disqualified from application in case of fraudulent application materials or application materials are completed and submitted by someone else.
3. Scholarship winners who cannot register on time should inform Chongqing University about the reasons in written form within 15 days before the admission date. For those who do not register as requested without reason, the scholarship will be canceled.
4. Scholarship will be canceled for those who do not pass the admission physical examination, drop out, or take schooling suspension during the study.
- The Confucius Institute at La Trobe University's contact details.
- Division of Scholarships, Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban), 129, Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, 100088. Fax: +86-10-58595727 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chongqing University: Tel: 0086-23-65111001 Fax: 0086-23-65111067 Website: http://study.cqu.edu.cn Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Documents for Confucius Institute Scholarship
- For all applicants
- A Scanned copy of passport photo page
- A scanned copy of score reports of the HSK and HSKK tests (within the two-year validity).
- A Recommendation letter by the head of the recommending institutions
- For degree scholarship program applicants
- A certification of the highest education diploma (or proof of expected graduation) and an official transcript.
- Applicants of the Scholarship for MTCSOL Students are required to provide 2 reference letters from professors or associate professors. Those who can provide a notarized employment agreement with teaching institutions are preferred.
- Applicants currently worked as Chinese language teachers shall provide the proof of employment as well as a reference letter by the employing institution
- Applicants under the age of 18 shall provide certified documents of designation signed by their entrusted legal guardians in China.
- Applicants shall also provide additional documents required by the host institutions
If you have any questions about Scholarships, please contact Pingrong DONG +61 3 9479 6506 or email@example.com