The Learning Hub
The Learning Hub is the place for every student, at every level, on every campus to develop and extend your academic skills. We offer support to transition, undergraduate, coursework post-graduate and research higher degree students, on every campus and online.
We offer help with assessments and study from Peer Learning Advisors (PLAs) and expert staff. Specialist help is also available for English language, academic writing (including theses) and Library skills.
Learning Hub workshops
How2Uni Workshops now online
Online Zoom workshops to help you beat procrastination, write great assignments and prepare for exams. All workshops are one hour long.
In-subject Study Skills and English Language Workshops
Some subjects offer workshops to develop skills for assignments. Your lecturer will tell you about any study skills, writing or English language workshops available in your subject.
One Step Ahead (preparing for uni program)
Our One Step Ahead program runs before the start of semester and introduces essential skills for successful university study, including understanding assessment tasks and academic writing.
English Conversation Club
Do you want to keep up your English speaking skills while studying at home?
The English Conversation Club meets via Zoom every week, from Semester 1 right up until the end of the year!
Find more information and the Zoom link on the Learning Hub LMS.
Contact email@example.com with any questions.
For Subject Coordinators and Lecturers
We offer workshops to develop students’ skills for assessment tasks.
Contact Anna Bailey, Learning Hub Manager to discuss embedded workshops at your campus. If you would like to request a targeted workshop, please give us 3 weeks' notice prior to the proposed workshop date.
Learning Hub services
Other Learning Hub Support - Academic Skills, Academic English, Maths, Science and Coding Hubs
In addition to the PLA service, The Learning Hub has expert staff available to help you develop your academic writing, study skills and academic English language skills. Book an appointment here
The Maths Hub provides mathematics and statistics online resources and Zoom support from expert tutors. Find out more about the Maths Hub
The Science Hub supports students with science subjects through online resources and expert tutors. Find out more about the Science Hub
The Coding Hub has expert tutors available to develop your skills in Python, Java, C/C++ and Database. Find out more about the Coding Hub
Help from a Librarian in The Learning Hub
The Library supports students with finding relevant resources for assignments/research and referencing.
Check your campus library's opening times
Get in touch with the Library via chat, phone or email.
We support postgraduate students by offering a range of additional services, depending on whether you are a Postgraduate Coursework or Higher Degree Research (HDR) student.
For Higher Degree Research (HDR) students:
- The Research Education Development team (RED) runs workshops to support your research and other activities to help you during your candidature, including Shut Up and Write sessions, the Three Minute Thesis competition and the Visualise your Thesis competition
- The Learning Hub LMS Graduate Writing section offers great strategies and tips for beginning your research, critical reading and thesis writing
- The Learning Hub also offers one-to-one consultations for guidance with your writing.
Referencing and citation
Universities are very careful about acknowledging where information and ideas come from. This means that the use of other people’s ideas in your work needs to be referenced. Different areas of study have specific ways of referencing, all of which require practice and take time to master. Become more proficient and confident by getting the referencing help you need.
Do you have the academic skills you need to achieve at uni? Click on the modules below to find out what you need to know, learn great tips, see examples of important skills at work, try out your skills, and find links to further resources.
Studiosity Online Writing Feedback and Study Support
- Studiosity gives you feedback and strategies to help you develop your writing and study skills.
- Connect Live chat offers general and first-year level advice on language, study skills, stats, accounting, and economics after hours.
- Writing feedback will generally be returned within 24 hours. You then need to reflect on how to improve your work before you hand it in. So don’t leave it to the last minute!
- Studiosity writing tutors will not edit or rewrite your written work, advise on content, nor tell you how to answer the question. They will comment to identify where you can improve your grammar, spelling, structure and clarity of your writing.
- You can use Studiosity up to 5 times a semester in 2021.
One-to-one LANTITE support from the Learning Hub
How to get help from The Learning Hub
- Drop in via Zoom to see our Peer Learning Advisors (PLAs)
- Contact the Learning Hub by email: LearningHub@latrobe.edu.au
- Get Library support via chat, phone or email
- Academic and professional staff can refer students using this form
The Learning Hub Online
Check out The Learning Hub Online, a single place in the LMS to find eLearning tools across La Trobe University. You can access self-paced learning activities when it suits you and from wherever you are. The Learning Hub Online brings together resources like Achieve@Uni, Studiosity and LinkedInLearning videos, along with specially designed resources.
The Learning Hub helps you develop these skills for successful study
- planning, drafting and editing your assignments
- using your research in your writing
- quoting, paraphrasing, referencing.
- time management
- presentation skills
- exam preparation.
- developing your English vocabulary and grammar
- developing your speaking and writing in English
- improve your comprehension.
- using online learning systems
- advanced database searching
- software to study: including Excel, Word, NVivo, Endnote, Mendeley, SPSS.
- finding relevant resources for research assessments
- Maths and Statistics support for:
- Agricultural Science
- Biochemistry and Biotechnology
- Biomechanics, Sports and Exercise Science
- Business and Finance
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Psychology Statistics
- Statistics and Probability
- subject-based maths help (see the timetable on the Maths Hub LMS)