The following principles are our commitment to supporting employability at La Trobe:
- Inclusive delivery: all students will have equitable access to employability learning opportunities, to support successful transition to employment or further study.
- Shared responsibility: supporting students’ employability capabilities is a shared responsibility between students, staff, employers and the community.
- Integrated course design: courses will be designed and revised to scaffold the development of employability capabilities across the student lifecycle.
- Authentic learning: students will be given tasks and assessments that develop compatible skills for the workplace and align to similar responsibilities they will have an employee.
- Industry informed: courses will be developed and reviewed in consultation with employers, industry representative bodies, alumni and students to ensure they are authentic and relevant to contemporary practices.
- Intentional reflection: courses and activities will design regular touchpoints to encourage student to reflect upon, document and articulate their development of knowledge, skills and capabilities.
- Evidence-based, continuous improvement: an evidence-based approach will underpin the review and continuous improvement of subjects, courses and co-curricular experiences offered to support student employability.
- Tailored support: the university will provide tailored communications, professional development and resources to assist staff to support employability and facilitate connections with industry.