What is the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) and how do I pay it?

The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is a compulsory fee to cover non-academic support services such as:

  • advocacy
  • counselling
  • legal services
  • careers advice
  • financial advice
  • independent student representation

How much does SSAF cost?

The fee amount is different depending on whether you are a full-time or part-time student. The fee is charged in two half-year instalments. It can’t be refunded after census date if you withdraw from a subject or course.

Do I need to pay SSAF if I’m an international student?

SSAF is an inclusive component of tuition fees paid by international students and is not charged as a separate fee. For information as to how international students are charged fees please refer to the Student Fee Policy.

How do I pay my SSAF?

You can pay the fee upfront via the Finances tab in StudentOnLine. Please see the SAFF payment website for more information.

Can I defer SSAF?

Australian citizens, holders of Permanent Humanitarian Visas and New Zealand Special Category Visas are eligible to defer SSAF through SA-HELP, similar to HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP. All other students will need to pay the fee directly to the University.

How do I defer SSAF?

To defer your SSAF to SA-HELP you need to meet the eligibility criteria, including being an Australian citizen, holder of a Permanent Humanitarian Visa or a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder.

Eligible students can fill out an SA-HELP form in StudentOnLine before 30 June (Semester 1) or 31 December (Semester 2). These are known as the incurral dates. All students deferring the fee will be issued a Commonwealth Assistance Notice within 28 days of these dates. You will need to provide your Tax File Number at the time of your application.

To apply for SA-HELP:

  1. Go to the eCAF tab in StudentOnLine
  2. Find your admitted course and click ‘add new’
  3. Locate the SA-HELP form on the left side and select ‘complete form’. The form must include your Tax File Number.

For more information, including payment and deferral deadlines, please see the SSAF payment options webpage and the Deferring your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) FAQ.

Can I pay SSAF upfront?

Yes, you can pay the fee upfront via the Finances tab on StudentOnLine.

How can I make the most of SSAF-funded activities and services?

Connect with your campus’ student union or association and attend their activities and support services throughout the year. Get to know their free legal, financial advice and advocacy services – they’re there for you to use.

Access La Trobe’s Student Wellbeing support services such as counselling.

Improve your employability and learn how you can get a head-start on your career with the University’s Employability services. They’re super practical and will help you with everything from reviewing your resume to helping you gain a Work Integrated Learning placement.

How can I have my say on how SSAF is spent?

You are invited to provide your views and feedback on how SSAF should be allocated and spent. Please complete the online feedback form here.