Sign up before you get sick and you may be eligible for up to 38 hours of sick and carer’s pay per year.
The Victorian government introduced a 2-year pilot program called the Victorian Sick Pay and Guarantee Scheme, which has now been extended to provide sick and carer’s pay for casual or contract workers who are unable to work because they’re ill, injured or caring for someone and do not have access to paid leave entitlements.
As a student doing casual or contract work, you may be entitled to casual sick pay but check and sign up in advance to ensure you are eligible. The Victorian government has also extended the eligible job areas.
Eligible job areas
- Food, hospitality and accommodation
- Retail, sales and supermarkets
- Factories, manufacturing and supermarket supply chains
- Administration, clerical and call centres
- Cleaning and laundry
- Beauty, fitness, tourism and outdoor recreation
- Taxi, rideshare and delivery driving
- Carers, aides, health and welfare support
- Farm, agriculture, forestry, gardening and animal care
- Arts and creative industries
Sign up in advance and check your eligibility
You must meet certain requirements and be signed up before you can claim sick and carer’s pay. It is recommended you sign up as soon as possible and don’t wait until you become ill to do so.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
- 15 years or older
- Physically work in Victoria
- Have the right to work in Australia
- Work an average of 7.6 hours per week or more in an eligible job
- Do not have access to sick and carer’s leave entitlements at any job
Sign up for Sick Pay Guarantee here
Support at La Trobe
Financial Counselling information and support is also available at La Trobe University: