Getting started checklist
As a new staff member, we understand that your transition into La Trobe will be both rewarding and at times challenging and as such we have prepared this information handbook to assist you in navigating this process.
We are committed to the wellbeing of all staff and we encourage you to behave in a way that considers both your own safety and that of others.
- Contract or offer of employment completed and returned with relevant information
- Set up on payroll
HR Assist (phone 9479 1234) or home department or business unit.
- Activated on the University system
- Computer sign on
- Telephone access
- Access to desk or office
- University / School induction
To set up your username and password or for any assistance with Information Technology (ICT) Services, please contact Tel: (03) 9479 1500 or extension 1500 while on-campus.
Your role at La Trobe – pay and timesheets
You can access your pay, timesheets and other HR information in MyHR, our human resources information system. MyHR is easy to use, easy to navigate and accessible from wherever your access the internet.
Key benefits of MyHR include:
- access to payslips and payment summary
- online submission of timesheets
- approval overtime, TOIL, On-call and Call-outs
- review and management of leave.
You can also view and manage your employment details on MyHR, including:
- position, personal and payment details
- payment summary.
MyHR allows you to change and update your:
- home and postal address
- contact details, personal phone number and personal email address
- emergency contact details
- preferred name
- bank account details (you can now direct your pay into three different bank accounts).
For more information, see:
Code of Conduct
As a new staff member, it's important to familiarise yourself with our Code of Conduct.
Our Code of Conduct provides staff with an understanding of the standards that are required when dealing with colleagues, students and the La Trobe University community.
The code articulates the ethical, professional and legal standards upheld by the University and is used to guide decisions and actions in support our vision, values, and strategic objectives.
For more information please visit the HR policies website (to access this link you'll need to provide your La Trobe staff user name and password).
Be the difference by being accountable, connected, innovative and demonstrating we care about what we do and why we do it.
Learn more about our cultural qualities [staff login required]
Parking or transport options
University Induction Checklist
Local Induction Guides - important information for new starters
- College of ASSC
- School of Education
- La Trobe Law School
- La Trobe Business School
- School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- ASSC College Office
- College of SHE
- School of Life Sciences
- School of Molecular Sciences
- School of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences
- School of Psychology & Public Health
- School of Allied Health
- School of Nursing & Midwifery
- La Trobe Rural Health School
- SHE College Office
- Central and Support Services
- Human Resources
- Marketing & Recruitment
- Information Communications & Technology
- Planning & Governance
- La Trobe Art Institute
- La Trobe Sport
- Student Services & Administration
- Meeting/discussion with Subject/Course Coordinator
- Laboratory induction where appropriate
Contact Head of Department, Subject/Course Coordinator or School Administration
Health and safety
We are committed to preventing workplace injuries, disease and ill health and improving the health and safety for all staff, students and visitors to our campuses.
To gain an understanding of how health and safety are managed at the University, the resources that are available and the role you play, please read about our OHSE & induction system.
Health and wellbeing
We are committed to the wellbeing of all staff, and encourage you to behave in a way that considers both your own safety and that of others.
We have a comprehensive Wellbeing program at the University and the services offered include:
- staff exercise classes
- flu vaccinations
- workshops to support mental and physical wellbeing
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
In addition, we encourage all sessional staff to join the Better Life Wellbeing online portal for access to interesting articles, tools, quizzes and online education programs for managing stress, nutrition and physical activity.