La Trobe University Students
Student Volunteer Program
The La Trobe Wildlife Sanctuary offers a variety of volunteer opportunities for currently enrolled La Trobe University students.
Our Volunteer Program is designed to foster new skills in students and demonstrate the breadth of career opportunities in environmental science, research and education.
Volunteers may assist in the following areas of the Sanctuary:
- Land management
- Wildlife monitoring surveys
- Plant production & seed sorting
- Education experiences
- Marketing, promotion & interpretation
- Office & administration
- Nesting box construction
- Workshops & tours
Please note, as the LTWS is not a zoo or wildlife park, we cannot offer any direct animal handling.
Volunteers can assist at the Sanctuary from Monday to Friday throughout the university semester. Student volunteers are expected to commit to a regular day and time with a particular ongoing project.
The La Trobe Wildlife Sanctuary can accommodate several students each day working on a variety of different projects. We are currently accepting volunteering applications from La Trobe University students for 2019.
Work Experience Placements
The La Trobe Wildlife Sanctuary also welcomes applications for Work Experience placements. Work Experience placements may be organised to fulfill the requirements of a particular La Trobe University subject or may be arranged independently for personal and professional growth.
Applications are strongly encouraged from students currently enrolled in the Work Integrated Learning subject (AGR1WIL) within the Bachelor of Agricultural Sciences or Animal and Veterinary Biosciences. Work Experience placements range from 1 – 2 weeks.
NOTE: Applications for LTU placements in 2019 are on hold until further notice. High school Work Experience applications can be made via the link below.
- Complete the online Volunteer Application form (Please select La Trobe University Student, and either Student Volunteer Position or Work Experience Placement. Fill in your contact details and preferences).
- If applying for a Student Volunteer position - you will be contacted regarding upcoming volunteer opportunities which may be of interest.
- If applying for a Work Experience placement - please inform your relevant Subject Coordinator that you have applied to complete a placement at the LTWS.
- If your application is successful, you will be required to complete a Placement Approval form and a Travel form. Once these forms are signed and returned, you are ready for your placement!