Urban planning frameworks are necessary to ensure the initiatives required to create smart cities are successful.
This theme will explore how technology and humans interact across housing, public spaces, workspaces, infrastructure and environment.
Technological advancements needed for the efficient functioning of cities should be integrated with appropriate planning mechanisms to ensure the best outcomes for equity, prosperity and health.
Existing planning systems need to be reviewed and their ability to integrate new and smart technologies needs to be assessed so that it is sustainable and benefits the environment.
We are eager to work with people and organisations on research that fits this theme. Some possible research examples might be:
- how can digital data be created around land records for measuring urban growth and spatial development?
- to what extent can accurate measures of people, their interactions, movements and flows help develop and design better mobility solutions?
- what role can smart technologies play in informal sectors that dominate Asian cities?
If you have an idea for research and want to be a part of our network, contact us with your ideas.
We are able to undertake work for organisations and governments. Talk to us about how we can help you. Some examples include:
- analysis of data and provision of reports to advise on Smart City programs and state of their implementation, achievements, gaps and more
- feasibility studies – for example, the need for smart data in urban planning decisions; or the kinds of smart technologies that can deliver efficient services
- impact assessments – for example, socio-spatial impacts of smart urban planning projects
La Trobe Academics
- Professor Clare D'Souza
- Professor Henry Duh
- Dr Tian Feng
- Associate Professor Peter Higgs
- Dr Malliga Marimuthu
- Dr Julie Rudner
- Dr Long Truong
- Erik van Vulpen
- Dr Brooke Wilmsen
You can download the complete file of one-page profiles for La Trobe Academics here [PDF 1.3MB]
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur Academics
- Associate Professor Anindita Chakrabarti
- Dr Dibakar Ghosal
- Associate Professor Anubha Goel
- Dr K V Harish
- Dr Purushottam Kar
- Dr Bharat Lohani
- Professor Somesh Kumar Mathur
- Dr Akhilesh Mimani
- Associate Professor Santanu Misra
- Associate Professor Prishati Raychowdhury
- Dr Jillet Sarah Sam
- Associate Professor Rajesh Sathiyamoorthy
- Professor Raghu Nandan Sengupta
- Associate Professor Pradip Swarnakar
You can download the complete file of one-page profiles for IIT Kanpur Academics here [PDF 1.1MB]
Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) Pilani Academics
- Dr Manjanna B
- Associate Professor Dipendu Bhunia
- Dr Dipanjan Chakraborty
- Dr Chetana Gavankar
- Professor Navneet Goel
- Dr Namita Khanna
- Dr Bandhan Bandhu Majumdar
- Associate Professor Hitesh Datt Mathur
- Associate Professor Bivudutta Mishra
- Dr Prasanta Sahu
- Mr Vidyapu Sandeep
- Professor Kuldip Singh Sangwan
- Dr Suchismita Satpathy
- Dr Krishnendra Shekhawat
- Dr Ramachandran Subramanian
- Dr Murari Raja Raja Varma
You can download the complete file of one-page profiles for BITS Pilani Academics here [PDF 1.3MB]