Security and safety
Smart cities technologies are growing rapidly and the dollar value of this growth means there is a lot at stake.
The inter-connectivity across virtual and physical infrastructure that makes a smart city work are also vulnerable to significant cyber security risks which could result in crippling a city and even cause death.
This theme will examine the many cyber threats and how to protect critical infrastructure such as electricity and water supply from cyber threats. It will also look at how to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of data is protected.
Active threat detection and prevention of cyber threats is essential to developing and monitoring smart cities.
We are eager to work with people and organisations on research that fits this theme. Some possible research examples might be:
- is human privacy protected in a smart cities environment?
- is data integrity mature for a smart environment?
- how can cyber threats mitigate in smart cities?
- are current technologies and algorithms enough to secure the Internet of Things (IoT) environment?
- can cyber resilience protect smart cities from cyber-attack?
If you have an idea for research and want to be a part of our network, contact us with your ideas.
We are able to undertake work for organisations and governments. Talk to us about how we can help you. Some examples include:
- analysis of data and provision of reports to advise on data confidentiality, integrity and availability in smart networks
- feasibility studies – for example, IoT communication security
- economic modelling – for example, cryptography for smart networks
La Trobe Academics
- Dr Paulina Billett
- Dr Jinli Cao
- Professor Yi-Ping Phoebe Chen
- Dr Jabed Chowdhury
- Dr Mumtaz Hussain
- Associate Professor Marcel Jackson
- Dr A. S. M. Kayes
- Associate Professor Ing Kong
- Associate Professor Abdun Mahmood
- Dr Stanley Shanapinda
- Dr Song Wang
- Dr Kan Yu
You can download the complete file of one-page profiles for La Trobe Academics here [PDF 1.3MB]
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur Academics
- Dr Pranamesh Chakraborty
- Dr Balaji Devaraju
- Associate Professor Amey Karkare
- Professor Praveen Kulshreshtha
- Dr Bharat Lohani
- Dr Akhilesh Mimani
- Professor Murali Prasad Panta
- Dr Zakaria Siddiqui
- Associate Professor Ankush Sharma
You can download the complete file of one-page profiles for IIT Kanpur Academics here [PDF 1.1MB]
Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) Pilani Academics
- Dr Ashutosh Bhatia
- Associate Professor Manab Chakravarty
- Dr Amit Dua
- Professor Navneet Goel
- Associate Professor Poonam Goyal
- Professor Amit Kumar Gupta
- Professor Chittaranjan Hota
- Dr Rajib Ranjan Maiti
- Associate Professor Bivudutta Mishra
- Dr Amitesh Singh Rajput
- Dr Ponnalagu R N
- Dr Parikshit Sahatiya
- Dr Ramachandran Subramanian
- Dr Piyush Chandra Verma
You can download the complete file of one-page profiles for BITS Pilani Academics here [PDF 1.3MB]