Food security and agriculture
With an increasing global population, 69% more food calories will be needed to feed 9.6 billion people by 2050.
Increases in food related illnesses along with the need for more nutritional food to feed a growing population is a looming global challenge.
Agri-food research and innovation systems will need to change the ways in which they work to meet these challenges in a world of limited resources and increasingly hostile production environment.
This theme will work to translate knowledge from the laboratory to the rest of the world in all areas of food production.
We are eager to work with people and organisations on research that fits this theme. Some possible research examples might be:
- plant responses to stress and environmental changes
- optimising the dietary fibre content of plant-based foods (grains) to improve nutritional and environmental outcomes
- optimising the yield and quality of plant-based proteins from pulses
- structure, function and biosynthesis of plant cell walls and their biotechnological applications
- breeding plant varieties for changing and adverse climate
- seed biology.
If you have an idea for research and want to be a part of our network, contact us with your ideas.
We are able to undertake work for organisations and governments. Engagement in agriculture and food security spans a broad range of activities:
- various industries spanning the agriculture and food supply chain from primary producers to consumers
- multidisciplinary approaches to food security and agriculture spanning data, robotics, engineering, social sciences and agri-business
- research training.
La Trobe Academics
- La Trobe Institute for Agriculture and Food (LIAF)
- The Whelan Lab
- Dr Hayder Al-Aubaidy
- Dr Sobhan (Sean) Asian
- Dr Timothy Clune
- Professor Aniruddha Desai
- Professor Henry Duh
- Associate Professor Sajad Fayezi
- Associate Professor Jennifer Frost
- Associate Professor Conor Hogan
- Dr Markandeya Jois
- Dr Malliga Marimuthu
- Professor James Maxwell
- Dr Alex Stumpf
- Professor Jim Whelan
- Dr Brooke Wilmsen
- Professor Wei Xiang
You can download the complete file of one-page profiles for La Trobe Academics here [PDF 1.3MB]
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur Academics
- Professor Bishakh Bhattacharya
- Professor Shantanu Bhattacharya
- Dr Abhishek Chaudhary
- Professor Raghu Nandan Sengupta
You can download the complete file of one-page profiles for IIT Kanpur Academics here [PDF 1.1MB]
Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) Pilani Academics
- Dr Manjanna B
- Dr Ashutosh Bhatia
- Associate Professor Manab Chakravarty
- Dr Chetana Gavankar
- Professor Navneet Goel
- Associate Professor Poonam Goyal
- Dr Manik Gupta
- Associate Professor Bivudutta Mishra
- Professor Srikanth Mutnuri
- Dr Ponnalagu R N
- Dr Parikshit Sahatiya
- Dr Zakaria Siddiqui
- Dr Ramachandran Subramanian
You can download the complete file of one-page profiles for BITS Pilani Academics here [PDF 1.3MB]