Cities are the engines of growth for countries and account for around 80% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP). A vibrant economy is essential to a city or region being globally competitive.
Smart cities develop more competitive business environments. The economy of a smart city is driven by technically inspired innovation, creativity and entrepreneurship, provided by smart people. All smart cities aim to increase employment rates, increase the value of property, increase the number of businesses and patents, and decrease the number of people living in poverty.
The challenge is how to do this in a way that does not lead to a loss in physical and mental well-being, damage to the environment and includes people from all classes.
We are eager to work with people and organisations on research that fits this theme. Some possible research examples might be:
- how can competition between cities advance economic development?
- how can production facilities in a country be developed and promoted?
- how can we develop more public entrepreneurs in government?
If you have an idea for research and want to be a part of our network, contact us with your ideas.
We are able to undertake work for organisations and governments. Talk to us about how we can help you. Some examples include:
- analysis of data and provision of reports to advise on new economic opportunities in industry, tourism, retail, construction, commerce, transportation
- feasibility studies – for example, optimum investment in human resources for industrial skills and infrastructure
- economic modelling – for example, the cost of implementing a circular economy.
La Trobe University Academics
- Dr Leila Afshari
- Dr Sobhan (Sean) Asian
- Dr Paulina Billett
- Professor Aniruddha Desai
- Dr Greg Dingle
- Professor Clare D’Souza
- Associate Professor Jennifer Frost
- Professor Zahirul Hoque
- Dr Mumtaz Hussain
- Dr Premnadh Kurup
- Dr Xia Li
- Dr Malliga Marimuthu
- Professor James Maxwell
- Dr Swati Nagpal
- Professor Joanna Poyago-Theotoky
- Professor Alan Shiell
- Erik van Vulpen
- Dr Brooke Wilmsen
You can download the complete file of one-page profiles for La Trobe Academics here [PDF 1.3MB]
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur Academics
- Dr K V Harish
- Dr Purushottam Kar
- Professor Praveen Kulshreshtha
- Professor Somesh Kumar Mathur
- Professor Murali Prasad Panta
- Professor Nihar Ranjan Patra
- Professor Raghu Nandan Sengupta
- Associate Professor Pradip Swarnakar
You can download the complete file of one-page profiles for IIT Kanpur Academics here [PDF 1.1MB]
Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) Pilani Academics
- Dr Dipanjan Chakraborty
- Associate Professor Bivudutta Mishra
- Professor N V M Rao
- Dr Zakaria Siddiqui
- Dr Ramachandran Subramanian
You can download the complete file of one-page profiles for BITS Pilani Academics here [PDF 1.3MB]