Using values of cultural heritage as a foundation, this theme addresses the challenges that face cultural heritage management in rapid urban growth environments.
Urban cultural heritage is fundamental to cities all over the world and the interpretation, management and conservation of such heritage is increasingly a matter of significant urgency for communities.
Smart Cities have tended to overlook these challenges, and in some cities, rapid urban growth can sit alongside sites of four thousand years of urban civilisation and overtake it if not properly protected and promoted.
It is important that smart cities apply heritage-based planning protocols and consider how new technologies could support retaining and promoting the cultural heritage of the city locally and more broadly.
Current examples of where this is being done include:
- development-led archaeological programs
- community engagement in heritage management decisions
- crowd sourced heritage audit and improved monitoring of sites
We are eager to work with people and organisations on research that fits this theme. Some possible research examples might be:
- how can new and emergent technologies be used to develop and monitor heritage risk maps and urban development in smart cities?
- how can the governance of urban development be managed to best protect and promote urban cultural heritage?
- to what degree can 3D scanning and visualisation of cultural heritage sites facilitate cultural and economic resilience within urban settings?
If you have an idea for research and want to be a part of our network, contact us with your ideas.
We are able to undertake work for organisations and governments. Talk to us about how we can help you. Some examples include:
- testing application of remote sensing to identify sub-surface archaeological sites
- use of digital technologies to trial different forms of community engagement in the recording and monitoring of urban heritage
- evaluation of different forms of digital monitoring in cultural heritage management
- development of mobile phone applications to promote engagement with cultural heritage.
La Trobe Academics
- Professor Balasingham Balachandran
- Dr Paulina Billett
- Professor Henry Duh
- Dr Tian Feng
- Associate Professor Jennifer Frost
- Professor Warwick Frost
- Dr Ruth Gamble
- Dr Premnadh Kurup
- Dr Xia Li
- Associate Professor Joseph Tucci
You can download the complete file of one-page profiles for La Trobe Academics here [PDF 1.3MB]
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur Academics
- Dr Vipul Arora
- Associate Professor Anindita Chakrabarti
- Dr Dibakar Ghosal
- Dr Salil Goel
- Dr K V Harish
- Dr Bharat Lohani
- Associate Professor Santanu Misra
- Dr Jillet Sarah Sam
- Associate Professor Pradip Swarnakar
You can download the complete file of one-page profiles for IIT Kanpur Academics here [PDF 1.1MB]
Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) Pilani Academics
- Associate Professor Bivudutta Mishra
- Dr Basavadatta Mitra
- Professor Srikanth Mutnuri
- Dr Ramachandran Subramanian
You can download the complete file of one-page profiles for BITS Pilani Academics here [PDF 1.3MB]