Sustainable Development: Beyond Carbon
The La Trobe Office of the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Sustainability) and the Institute for Social and Environmental Sustainability conduct an annual business forum.
In 2012 the business forum was titled Sustainable Development: Beyond Carbon and was conducted on the 21 February.
Sustainable development is being corralled by the carbon accounting debate, but it needs to engage with issues much broader than concerns about carbon emissions. Organisations have the opportunity to contribute to other environmental imperatives and social issues whilst maintaining their social licence to operate.
The Forum brought together experts in sustainable development from industry and academia to provide insight into achieving long term improvement for society and institutions and was organised through the Office of the PVC (Sustainability)'s and the La Trobe Institute for Social and Environmental Sustainability.
- discussed climate change response in Australia and internationally;
- considered the broader approaches to sustainable development beyond the environmental issues and,
- promoted partnerships between government, business and society.
Social and environmental impacts of renewable energy and carbon, business, human rights and links to community development.
- Download the 2012 Business Forum program [PDF 717KB].
- Download the 2011 Business Forum Program [PDF 585KB].
Listen to Chuck Berger's (Director of Strategic Ideas - Australian Conservation Foundation) Business Forum presentation: