Public transport (Metropolitan services)

The Melbourne public transport system incorporates train, tram and bus services. The transport network is split into two zones which are colour coded for easy recognition: Zone 1 is yellow (Melbourne CBD and inner suburbs) and Zone 2 is blue (outer suburbs). La Trobe's Melbourne Campus is located on the border of Zones 1 and 2. For more information, including fares and timetables, visit Public Transport Victoria (PTV) or call 1800 800 007.

Take a look at our safety tips for travelling on public transport, especially when travelling at night.

Myki Card

Buying a card

You will need to buy a Myki card if you want to travel on public transport in Melbourne. This can be done:

Topping up

Your Myki card has no money on it when you buy it. You have to 'top up' your card with money before you can travel. This can be done using a Myki machine (located at all train stations), through selected retailers or online.

To see how much your trip will cost, visit PTV's fares information page.

Using your card

To use your Myki, you will need to 'touch on' when you begin your journey and 'touch off' when you finish it. This means that you have to touch your card to the green Myki reader machine, located at the entrance to train stations and inside the doors of buses and trams.

  • on trains - touch on and touch off
  • on buses - touch on and touch off
  • on trams - touch on, but only touch off if your whole trip begins and ends in Zone 2.

If you are unsure about how to use your Myki on public transport, take a look at this further information about touching on and touching off.

Concession card

Travelling with a Concession Myki card is normally cheaper than a Full Fare card, however you must be eligible to apply for a Concession Card. If you travel without a valid Myki, or on a concession Myki without a Concession Card, you are at risk of being fined by inspectors.

International students are not entitled to a Student Concession Card unless they are:

  • Students with refugee status (VPT Card information)
  • Students undertaking an Exchange program
  • Undergraduate Australia Awards recipients.

If you do have a Concession Card, you should buy a Concession Myki instead of a Full Fare Myki.

Go to PTVs concessions page for more information.

Getting to La Trobe

Melbourne Campus

For more information about getting to and from La Trobe's Melbourne Campus, visit our Transport Central page.

It's a good idea to buy a local street directory which includes bus, train and tram routes (including stop numbers). The Melways and the UBD are the most commonly used street directories, and are available from the Campus bookshop.

The number 86 tram and numbers 250, 340 and 350 buses run direct from the CBD to the Melbourne Campus. While there is no direct train service to the campus, the Epping and Hurstbridge train lines include stops close to campus, with a continuing bus service that can be accessed just outside the train stations of Reservoir (Epping line) and Macleod (Hurstbridge line).

Bendigo Campus

All local bus routes travel to and from the centre of Bendigo. Route 14 (Strathdale) services the Bendigo Campus, and Route 11 (Spring Gully) is closer to the Halls of Residence (Osborne Street). Timetables for each route are available from the local bus company:

Please note that there are fewer bus services on Sundays and public holidays.

Albury-Wodonga Campus

Mylon has been operating public transport services on the Albury-Wodonga border region. Bus timetable is available at The bus stop at the University is in the North car park.

Mildura Campus

The main Mildura Campus building is located at 471 Benetook Avenue. Sunbus routes 400, 401, 500 and 501 provide easy access to the Campus. Free parking is also available.

For the Campus building in central Mildura, at 29 Deakin Avenue, Sunbus routes 100, 200, 211, 250, 300 and 311 provide access and parking is also available.

For information on bus timetable, visit

Shepparton Campus

The Campus is located on both Welsford and Fryers streets. The train station is located within walking distance of Fryers Street. Bus services are available from a centrally-located bus terminal.

For more information on transit timetables visit

NightRider bus service

NightRider operates after midnight on weekends after all public transport in Melbourne metropolitan areas stops. The buses run every 30 minutes between the city (City Square, on Swanston Street between Collins and Flinders streets) and Melbourne's outer suburbs between 1.20am – 5.20am on Saturdays, and 1.20am – 6.20am on Sundays, with additional services on some routes.

Use your valid Myki card to catch a NightRider bus.


Taxis are generally an expensive way to travel. The following companies offer services in and around Melbourne, and you phone them directly to book a taxi.

  • North Suburban Taxis: 13 1119
  • Silver Top Taxis: 13 1008
  • Black Cabs: 13 2227

There are several companies that provide taxi services in regional Victoria. For Bendigo, Albury-Wodonga and Shepparton taxi services, call 13 10 08 and for Mildura Taxi Associated, call 03 5023 0033 or Ouyen Taxis, call 03 5092 1331.


Before you start driving in Australia, we recommend you take some lessons to become familiar with local driving conditions and road laws. Road laws include:

  • Driving on the left-hand side of the road; this applies to all states in Australia.
  • All occupants in a car, including passengers, must wear seatbelts.
  • Drink driving (driving when over the legal blood alcohol limit) can result in heavy fines or even loss of licence (including an overseas licence).
  • At some Melbourne city centre intersections, hook turns are required; drivers turn right from the left-hand lane instead of the centre lane, to avoid obstructing trams.

You may drive on a valid overseas licence indefinitely while holding a student or temporary visa, provided the licence is either in English or is accompanied by an official English translation (e.g. an International Driving Permit). An International Driving Permit is a translation of a driver licence; it is not a licence itself. For your International Driving Permit to be valid, you must also carry your overseas licence when driving.

VicRoads only accepts translations completed by a NAATI accredited (any level) translator or an appropriate consulate in Australia.

Detailed information on Road Safety, licensing and road rules by reading Driving in Victoria is available on VicRoads website.


Cycling to La Trobe is a great option. We provide bicycle parking, storage and facilities for students as well as a bike share program at our Melbourne campus. To find out more visit Transport Central - Cycling.

If you plan to ride a bike, make sure you understand certain road rules applied specifically to cyclists which include:

  • you can't ride bicycles on footpaths
  • all cyclists must wear an approved safety helmet (except on medical and/or religious grounds)
  • bicycles must be equipped with a bell or horn, an efficient brake and, if ridden at night, a white headlight, red tail-light and red rear reflector.

For more information about cycling in Melbourne, visit the Bicycle Victoria website.