A summer program to get you on track for Semester 1 2022 university entry.
In recognition of the challenges faced by Year 12 students in 2020 and 2021, La Trobe University will be running a special version of Prepare for La Trobe: Prepare Accelerate.
If you undertook VCE/HSC unscored, or didn’t get the ATAR you were aiming for in 2020 or 2021, Prepare Accelerate is here to get you back on track to start uni in Semester 1, 2022.
- There is no minimum ATAR to take part in this academic pathway program. You only need to show you have successfully completed your VCE or HSC in 2020 or 2021, including if unscored (details in How to Apply, below).
- Students complete 3 micro subjects across January and early February, taught entirely online in a supportive environment, making sure you receive the skills to succeed in university study
- Each micro subject requires around 50 hours of total learning time
- We will use your average grade in the micro subjects to calculate a La Trobe Entrance Score for admission to diploma and bachelor courses (La Trobe only)
- The program runs from January 4 to February 15 2022
- Successful completion will meet prerequisites for English subject requirements for entry to La Trobe Diploma or Bachelor’s degrees – great for students that just miss the min English subject score. (If your Year 12 studies did not include an English or literacy subject we may advise you to undertake more micro-subjects to meet this requirement.)
- It’s completely free and online
- Entry criteria:
- You must be eligible to receive the VCE or HSC in 2020 or 2021 (Prepare Accelerate is not open to VCAL completers, other than those applying to Carlton College of Sport Diplomas).
- You must also be an Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or Permanent Australian Resident.
At La Trobe, we believe a great indicator of how you’ll succeed at uni is how well you do in our university programs for school students. We’ve looked at the performance of numerous students in our pathway programs to allocate a score associated with future performance in degree programs compared to other students. Our La Trobe Entrance Score can then be matched to the rank you may receive for school studies. The table below shows what average grades you need in your Prepare Accelerate studies to gain a La Trobe Entrance Score.
Prepare average mark
La Trobe Entrance Score or outcome
50 to 72
Pass – entry to La Trobe Diploma
- Note: this table shows the La Trobe Entrance Scores for 2021. These are updated regularly as we compile more data about course outcomes each year.
As a Prepare Accelerate student you’ll be eligible to a La Trobe Aspire ATAR, or equivalent La Trobe Entrance Score. You can find the La Trobe Entrance Score or ATAR you’ll need for our courses here.
Micro subjects are short university preparation subjects. They provide discipline specific knowledge while teaching tertiary level academic skills. Each one consists of approximately 50 hours of learning (including time spent doing assessments) spread over six weeks.
Prepare Accelerate runs fulltime from January 3 to February 15, 2022. It will involve around 25 hours of study per week for six weeks. You’ll gain the skills you need to start uni with confidence.
Your three Prepare Accelerate micro units will run concurrently across the 6 week term (January 4 to February 15 2022). Aside from meeting due dates for the micro-assessments, you can study online at your own pace, day or night.
You’ll be eligible to apply for all undergraduate programs excluding those listed below. Of course, you’ll also need to meet any specific entry requirements for your course, such as prerequisites or additional criteria (e.g. completion of the CASPer test for teaching courses).
Students wishing to enter a nursing pathway: note that the Diploma of Health Sciences (regional only) has now been opened as a Prepare Accelerate pathway.
The following courses are capped and are not available for Semester 1, 2022 entry from Prepare Accelerate. Please speak to the future students team if you wish to access these course as other pathways, including Diploma entry, may be available.
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Medical)
- Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Health Information Management
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Bachelor of Nursing/ Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Nursing/ Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Oral Health Science
- Bachelor of Orthoptics (Honours)
- Bachelor of Paramedic Practice with Honours
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Podiatry (Honours)
- Bachelor of Prosthetics and Orthotics (Honours)
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology (Honours)
- Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Nursing
- Bachelor of Wildlife and Conservation Biology
Information about all of our courses is available on the Courses section of our website.
Important to understand:
- This program is La Trobe University specific – it will not assist you with entry pathways into other educational institutions. The program will not ‘add ‘points’ to an ATAR.
- It is not a guaranteed pathway into any course, it provides an entry opportunity via the La Trobe University Entrance Score.
Prepare Accelerate is available to all Australian citizens, New Zealand citizens or Australian Permanent Residents who have successfully completed VCE (including unscored), HSC or IB in 2020 or 2021, and VCAL applicants to the Carlton College of Sport Diplomas.
Prepare Accelerate is completely free.
The different streams describe micro subjects you choose to undertake, depending on whether your interests are in maths and science or the arts and humanities.
and two from your preferred stream:
- Science, health and engineering:
- Arts, social sciences and commerce
Applications close Sunday 19th December. We advise you to submit your application before this date to ensure you have a place if we experience high demand.Completing your application by Friday the 17th is advisable, to ensure you can access supports. Late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances.
If you have proof of completion of 2020/2021 VCE/HSC, please scan it and attach it to your application. You will need to provide evidence of being awarded the VCE (including unscored)/VCAL/HSC in 2020 or 2021 before we can offer you a place in a subsequent Bachelor or Diploma course, or proof of VCAL completions if applying to Carlton College of Sport’s diplomas, but if you do not yet have that evidence you can provide it during the program. Examples of evidence include: VCE/HSC Certificate, VCAA record of results, VCAL (Senior) Certificate
When you start your application you'll find that there are three PREPARE options.
- If you are interested in science, health and engineering you should select 'Prepare Accelerate (SHE)'
- If you are interested in arts, social sciences and commerce you should select 'Prepare Accelerate (ASSC)'
- Please do not select Term 3 intakes – these are for those still in school
Contact our Future Students Centre on 1300 135 045 or talk to us via live chat if you need help or for more information, and Ask La Trobe if you have any issues accepting an offer or enrolling. Hours for our support centres over the Christmas and New Year periods are set out below: