A summer program to get you on track for Semester 1 2022 university entry.
In recognition of the challenges faced by Year 12 students in 2020 and 2021, La Trobe University will be running a special version of Prepare for La Trobe: Prepare Accelerate.
If you undertook VCE/HSC unscored, or didn’t get the ATAR you were aiming for in 2020 or 2021, Prepare Accelerate is here to get you back on track to start uni in Semester 1, 2022.
- There is no minimum ATAR to take part in this academic pathway program. You only need to show you have successfully completed your VCE or HSC in 2020 or 2021, including if unscored.
- Students complete 3 micro subjects across January and early February, taught entirely online in a supportive environment, making sure you receive the skills to succeed in university study
- Each micro subject requires around 50 hours of total learning time
- We will use your average grade in the micro subjects to calculate a La Trobe Entrance Score for admission to diploma and bachelor courses (La Trobe only)
- The program runs from January 4 to February 15 2022
- Successful completion will meet prerequisites for English subject requirements for entry to La Trobe Diploma or Bachelor’s degrees – great for students that just miss the min English subject score. (If your Year 12 studies did not include an English or literacy subject we may advise you to undertake more micro-subjects to meet this requirement.)
- It’s completely free and online
- Entry criteria:
- You must be eligible to receive the VCE or HSC in 2020 or 2021 (Prepare Accelerate is not open to VCAL completers).
- You must also be an Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or Permanent Australian Resident.
- Applications are open now, and close December 19th
At La Trobe, we believe a great indicator of how you’ll succeed at uni is how well you do in our university programs for school students. We’ve looked at the performance of numerous students in our pathway programs to allocate a score associated with future performance in degree programs compared to other students. Our La Trobe Entrance Score can then be matched to the rank you may receive for school studies. The table below shows what average grades you need in your Prepare Accelerate studies to gain a La Trobe Entrance Score.
Prepare average mark
La Trobe Entrance Score or outcome
50 to 72
Pass – entry to La Trobe Diploma
- Note: this table shows the La Trobe Entrance Scores for 2021. These are updated regularly as we compile more data about course outcomes each year.
You can find the La Trobe Entrance Score or ATAR you’ll need for our courses here.
Micro subjects are short university preparation subjects. They provide discipline specific knowledge while teaching tertiary level academic skills. Each one consists of approximately 50 hours of learning (including time spent doing assessments) spread over six weeks.
Prepare Accelerate runs fulltime from January 3 to February 15, 2022. It will involved around 25 hours of study per week for six weeks. You’ll gain the skills you need to start uni with confidence.
Your three Prepare Accelerate micro units will run concurrently across the 6 week term. Aside from meeting due dates for the micro-assessments, you can study online at your own pace, day or night.
You’ll be eligible to apply for all undergraduate programs excluding those listed below. Of course, you’ll also need to meet any specific entry requirements for your course, such as prerequisites or additional criteria (e.g. completion of the CASPer test for teaching courses).
Students wishing to enter a nursing pathway: note that the Diploma of Health Sciences (regional only) has now been opened as a Prepare Accelerate pathway.
Information about all of our courses is available on the Courses section of our website.
Prepare Accelerate is completely free.
The different streams describe micro subjects you choose to undertake, depending on whether your interests are in maths and science or the arts and humanities.
and two from your preferred stream:
- Science, health and engineering:
- Arts, social sciences and commerce
Applications close Sunday 19th December. We advise you to submit your application before this date to ensure you have a place if we experience high demand.Completing your application by Friday the 17th is advisable, to ensure you can access supports. Late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances.
You can apply for the Prepare Accelerate online. You will need to scan proof of completion of 2020/2021 VCE/HSC and attach it to your application.
When you start your application you'll find that there are three PREPARE options.
- If you are interested in science, health and engineering you should select 'Prepare Accelerate (SHE)'
- If you are interested in arts, social sciences and commerce you should select 'Prepare Accelerate (ASSC)'
- Please do not select Term 3 intakes – these are for those still in school
Contact our Future Students Centre on 1300 135 045 or talk to us via live chat if you need help or for more information, and Ask La Trobe if you have any issues accepting an offer or enrolling. Hours for our support centres over the Christmas and New Year periods are set out below: