PROFESSIONAL PSYCHOLOGY PRACTICUM A
Credit points: 15
You will observe psychologists engaging in practice with clients in this practicum subject. You will have been prepared through coursework subjects where information about counselling skills, assessment and intervention skills have been introduced. You will begin to develop practical skills by observing an experienced psychologist working with clients and role-playing with peers. You will also be attending case discussions and supervised meetings of observed cases. Online seminars will support you and discuss cases observed and workshops will facilitate group case discussions in groups. The subject will include 60 hours of observations and 40 hours of supervision.
SchoolSchool of Psychology & Public Health
Subject Co-ordinatorLynette Evans
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Prerequisites Admission to HMPPSB
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Australian Psychology Society Code of Ethics||Prescribed||https://www.psychology.org||Available for APS members|
|Readings||Mental Health Legislation and Human Rights||Prescribed||https://www.humanrights||online|
|Readings||Mental Health Legislation||Prescribed||https://www.ranzcp.org/public||online|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Demonstrate advanced knowledge of legal and professional matters in relation to professional work with clients.
- Opportunities for case discussions and reflection during supervision and case analysis
02. Demonstrate knowledge of basic counselling skills required to engage clients in a therapeutic relationship essential to the delivery of therapy
- Identifying therapeutic dynamics observed during professional sessions with clients.
03. Demonstrate proficiency in the early stages of assessment, formulation and intervention.
- During supervision identifying the framework in which the therapy is being applied
04. Review and analyse the observations made of clients and demonstrate professional judgement and reasoning.
- Opportunities during written self-reflective practice.
05. Actively participate and articulate clinical reasoning within a clinical team.
- Initiate discussion during supervision and case meetings.
Select to view your study options…
Bendigo, 2020, Semester 1, Blended
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorLynette Evans
One 2.0 hours seminar every two weeks on weekdays at night from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via online.
One 7.0 hours workshop other recurrence on any day including weekend during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
Placement - Off Site
Twelve 5.0 hours placement - off site per study period on weekdays during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
"Equivalent to 60 hours of observation and 40 hours supervision"
|Case log book (10 hours of role play with client related activities, 50 hours of direct observation)||30||02, 03|
|Case log book (40 hours supervision and case discussion) (1500 words equivalent)||30||01, 02, 03, 04, 05|
|Two Case reports (3000 words equivalent)||40||01, 02, 03, 04|