Credit points: 15

Subject outline

In this subject you will work with the context of podiatric clinical cases, to develop foundation knowledge and skills in the assessment of the podiatric client. This subject will develop their ability to evaluate lower limb neurological and vascular competence. Students will be introduced to several radiographic techniques, including; plain film radiographs, musculoskeletal ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging, computer tomography and bone scan. You will analyse case studies to simulate the prescription of laboratory tests for a range of conditions affecting the lower leg and foot. Online learning and directed reading tasks are complemented by a series of skills session workshops where students will have the opportunity to practice these assessment and analytical tasks and operate relevant equipment.

SchoolAllied Health, Human Services & Sport

Credit points15

Subject Co-ordinatorJames Gerrard

Available to Study Abroad/Exchange StudentsYes

Subject year levelYear Level 4 - UG/Hons/1st Yr PG

Available as ElectiveNo

Learning ActivitiesN/A

Capstone subjectNo

Subject particulars

Subject rules

Prerequisites Must be admitted into one of the following courses: HZHPOD, HZHPDW, HZHPDB, HZHPDM, HZHPDS or HZLLPP and must have passed HBS2ALF, HBS2PAT, HLT2IEP, HBS3NPM and POD3PPB. If admitted into HMPOD or HMPODB no rules apply.


Incompatible subjectsN/A

Equivalent subjectsN/A

Quota Management StrategyN/A

Quota-conditions or rulesN/A

Special conditionsN/A

Minimum credit point requirementN/A

Assumed knowledgeN/A

Learning resources

Merriman's assessment of the lower limb

Resource TypeBook

Resource RequirementRecommended

AuthorYates, B & Merriman LM


Edition/Volume3RD EDN



Chapter/article titleN/A



Other descriptionN/A

Source locationN/A

Radiology of the foot and ankle

Resource TypeBook

Resource RequirementRecommended

AuthorBerquist, TH


Edition/Volume2ND EDN



Chapter/article titleN/A



Other descriptionN/A

Source locationN/A

Career Ready


Work-based learningNo

Self sourced or Uni sourcedN/A

Entire subject or partial subjectN/A

Total hours/days requiredN/A

Location of WBL activity (region)N/A

WBL addtional requirementsN/A

Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes

Graduate Capabilities

Intended Learning Outcomes

01. Appropriately select and critically analyse assessments to evaluate lower limb and foot vascular status.
02. Appropriately identify and critically analyse assessments to evaluate lower limb and foot neurological status.
03. Justify selection and interpretation of laboratory tests and diagnostic imaging techniques for use in podiatric practice, taking into account issues of specificity, sensitivity, cost and patient safety.
04. Clearly and coherently describe the mechanisms for obtaining images using radiographs, ultrasound, MRI, CT and bone scan.
05. Detect and critically review abnormal vascular, neurological, laboratory and diagnostic imaging assessment findings.

Subject options

Select to view your study options…

Start date between: and    Key dates

Melbourne (Bundoora), 2021, Semester 1, Blended


Online enrolmentYes

Maximum enrolment sizeN/A

Subject Instance Co-ordinatorJames Gerrard

Class requirements

Directed ReadingWeek: 10 - 22
One 3.00 hours directed reading per week on weekdays during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via online.
Equivalent of one 2-hour audio-visual lecture including addition reading and learning activities (i.e. quizzes and short answer questions)

WorkShopWeek: 10 - 22
One 2.00 hours workshop per week on weekdays during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
One 2-hour facilitated workshop per week


Assessment elementCommentsCategoryContributionHurdle% ILO*
one 15-minute team video presentation with one 600-word (per individual) online discussion Video presentation - 5 minutes per student (500 words equivalent). Team presentation video is worth 20% and the individual contribution to online discussion is worth 10% (total worth 30%). This assessment task focuses on advanced imaging techniques.N/AN/AN/ANo30 SILO3, SILO4, SILO5
one individual 75 minute online quiz This is held on campus under examination conditions. You will log into LMS and answer 60 multiple choice questions. This quiz examines learning outcomes related to lab testing and plain film radiography.N/AN/AN/ANo35 SILO3, SILO4, SILO5
one individual written assignment (1150 words equivalent) Students respond to a series of questions around the neurovascular assessment of a given case scenario in an individual written assignment.N/AN/AN/ANo30 SILO1, SILO2
one 15-minute individual quiz (250 words equivalent) This quiz is conducted online by students as an individual assessment to offer early feedback on progress. You will log into LMS and answer 10 multiple choice questions.N/AN/AN/ANo5 SILO1