CURRENT ISSUES IN TRANSNATIONAL PRACTICE
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
Commercial actors from other jurisdictions (for example, the USA) often acquire and develop assets in Australia and New Zealand. Public listing in either of these two jurisdictions is one exit mechanism for these commercial actors. In all cases, however, proper structuring of the commercial transaction is important. This subject comprises: a review of the principal areas of required legal knowledge (tax, trusts and companies); the present position of the former British enclaves in the Southern Hemisphere for transaction planning purposes; the substantive law in Australia and New Zealand (including the mutual recognition of securities offerings regime), transaction planning, and, the architecture of a public listing. The take-home examination for this subject will comprise a set of legal memorandums advising on stages of a cross-border commercial transaction culminating in public listing.
SchoolLa Trobe Law School
Subject Co-ordinatorSara Smyth
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Discipline Specific||Current Issues in Transnational Practice||Prescribed||Various||Various|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Identify the legal aspects of cross-border listing, including corporate governance issues, disclosure requirements, risk management and the separation between ownership and management.
- Lectures, , concept presentations and seminars demonstrating the legal consequences of listing in different capital markets, utilization of case studies to illustrate the necessity for due diligence and risk management.
02. Explain and critique case-based and statutory principles relating to tax, trusts and companies so far as they impact on cross border listing..
- Frameworks for doctrines explained and illustrated in lectures, individual student reading of cases and texts provided in the Course Materials and in-class discussions.
03. High-level capacity to identify and resolve legal issues relating to cross-border commercial transactions and public listing
- Argument development and evaluation modelled through case-study examples in lectures and concept presentations. Individual student reading of cases and textbooks and in- class discussions to clarify and evaluate applications. Take home examination.
04. Developed capacity to compose legal memoranda advising on stages of a cross-border commercial transaction culminating in public listing.
- Modelled through analysis of written cases, discussion in class and student responses in the examination.
Select to view your study options…