STRANDS OF MATHEMATICS
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
In this subject we provide second year education students with an extension to their first year studies to gain firm grounding in the knowledge required for teaching primary school Mathematics. The focus is on student skill development in the teaching of the remaining content strands of mathematics; Measurement and Geometry and Statistics and Probability, and how to develop mathematical logic, reasoning, conjecture, problem solving and invention in these areas. During the semester students continue to examine current research and curriculum documents, and learn how to further develop primary classrooms as mathematical communities. ICT skills associated with accessing, processing and communicating in a blended learning environment are embedded within the course and utilised in assessment tasks.
SchoolSchool of Education
Subject Co-ordinatorPeter Sanders
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 2 - UG
Prerequisites EDU1TNA or EDU1LNU or co-ordinator's approval
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Teaching Primary Mathematics 4th Ed.||Recommended||Booker, G., Bond,D., Sparrow, l., & Swann P.(2010)||PEARSON AUSTRALIA|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Demonstrate knowledge of mathematical curriculum documents.
02. Exhibit good communication, questioning and listening skills, and work collaboratively as a team.
03. Show familiarity with and pedagogical knowledge of how Mathematics thinking develops, and how Mathematics is taught, at a variety of levels.
04. Understand how outdoor activities can support student learning in Mathematics.
05. Critically analyse and respond constructively to presentations by peers.
Select to view your study options…