IOT PROTOCOLS AND PLATFORMS
Credit points: 15
SchoolSchool Engineering&Mathematical Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorAlex Tomy
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||IoT Fundamentals: Networking Technologies, Protocols, and Use Cases for the Internet of Things||Recommended||IoT Fundamentals: Networking Technologies, Protocols, and Use Cases for the Internet of Things||Cisco Press|
|Readings||The Wireless Internet of Things: A Guide to the Lower Layers||Recommended||Daniel Chew, 2018||IEEE Press|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Critically evaluate the state-of-the-art Internet of Things (IoT) protocols and standards to propose the most suitable combinations to implement IoT applications.
- The lectures will teach you IoT protocols based on both Open System Interconnection (OSI) model and functionalities. From OSI model, you will learn the latest IoT medium access control (MAC) protocols, network protocols and application protocols. As per functionality, you will learn IoT communication protocols, infrastructure protocols and data protocols. You will be able to master the main features and behaviors of the latest IoT protocols and standards.
02. Critically review the current commercial and open source IoT platforms/ecosystems through the synthesis of IoT systems.
- The lectures and tutorials will introduce you to the latest commercial and open source IoT platforms with contemporary applications. Student groups work with IoT platforms in workshops/labs to obtain hands-on experience, developing expertise and capability to build real-time IoT systems.
03. Critically evaluate IoT protocols and platforms for IoT applications in smart cities, smart homes, smart agriculture, smart vehicles and smart health-care.
- The lectures and workshops will teach you appropriate IoT protocols and platform selection for IoT application purposes. You will write reports on the protocol and platform selection for given IoT application scenarios. The report will focus on details analysis and summary of the selection and advantages and disadvantages of candidate protocols and platforms where the scenario lends itself to multiple instances. The reports will be graded by the teaching staff.
04. Evaluate security aspects and characteristics of IoT protocols and platforms.
- The lectures will teach you the importance of security considerations in developing IoT systems, the advantages and disadvantages of existing IoT protocols and platforms in meeting security requirements for IoT applications. You will present your findings on critical security issues on current IoT systems.
05. Analyse, communicate, and interpret IoT related technical information for lay audiences.
- You will give a presentation of you investigation results to your peers. Your peers will critically analyse the presentations and draw conclusions.
Select to view your study options…
Bendigo, 2020, Semester 2, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorAlex Tomy
One 2.0 hours lecture per week on weekdays during the day from week 31 to week 43 and delivered via face-to-face.
One 2.0 hours workshop per week on weekdays from week 31 to week 43 and delivered via face-to-face.
|1-hour mid-semester test (1000 words equivalent])||15||01, 03, 04|
|Problem solving task related to Internet of Things (IoT) protocols (1000 words equivalent])||In this assignment you will develop a communication solution for a given IoT problem using appropriate IoT networking protocols||15||01, 02, 03, 04|
|Problem solving task related to Internet of Things (IoT) protocols (1500 words equivalent])||In this assignment you will implement an IoT solution for a given IoT problem using IoT platform tools||20||01, 02, 03, 04|
|2-hour examination (2000) words equivalent)||50||01, 02, 03, 04, 05|