MOBILE AND PERVASIVE COMPUTING
Credit points: 15
Six topics are covered in this subject. 1) Context-Aware Computing: location-based systems, services and positioning technologies, location/context dependent queries and service discovery; 2) RFID-Based Systems: technology and standards, software components, system architecture and business applications; 3) Sensing Technologies: programming models for sensors, uses and applications; 4) Smart Spaces: concept, realisation and examples; 5) New Interaction Models: interaction and design, technologies behind the vision of ubiquitous computing and novel user interfaces for embedded and mobile computers; 6) Pervasive Computing and Middleware, Frameworks and Toolkits. The subject also covers realizing the above concepts using the Android programming platform.
SchoolSchool Engineering&Mathematical Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorFei Liu
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 4 - UG/Hons/1st Yr PG
Prerequisites (CSE1IOO or CSE4IOO) and (CSE2DBF or CSE4DBF) and (CSE2NEF or CSE5NEF) or Subject Coordinator's approval.
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Understand the philosophy underlying mobile and pervasive computing technologies and applications.
- Students will attend lectures on the ideas about mobile and pervasive computing and will see concrete examples of how the ideas are realised.
02. Apply understanding of the characteristics of the mobile environment to software design, in contrast to desktop environments.
- Students will first be taught the principles and then will see how they work in examples, and then will apply these principles in their assignment.
03. Understand the paradigms, architectures, and principles in designing client-server mobile computing applications, including user interface abstractions and mobile usability issues, and design and program mobile applications for the smartphone and mobile devices on at least one platform.
- Students will be exposed to a range of examples, illustrating the paradigms, architectures and design principles. Programming examples are also shown. Students will also be given readings on specific topics. Lab exercises done by the students will also help them gain expertise in programming aspects. Students will then apply these principles in the design of their group assignment and work with the coding examples to create their own programs on a specified mobile platform.
04. Be able to build applications based on the notion of context-aware computing, applying different types of positioning technologies for location-based systems and services.
- Students will attend lectures and labs where context-aware computing is discussed and students will do exercises on this topic during labs. Students will also need to incorporate this feature into their programming assignment.
05. Design and use RFID and sensor technology and design RFID/sensor-based software solutions to real-world problems.
- Students will be given examples in lectures and labs, and will also apply the principles and ideas of sensor technology in one part of their assignment. Students will need to read suggested material and perform limited experimentation to complete the related task in their assignment.
06. Select and employ pervasive computing middleware and toolkits to create solutions, while being aware of privacy, security, and usability concerns.
- While encountering and engaging with technologies during lectures and labs, students will be taught the impact, potential and ethical uses of the technology, via examples, and case studies.
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2020, Semester 2, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorFei Liu
Two 1.0 hours lecture per week on weekdays during the day from week 31 to week 43 and delivered via face-to-face.
One 2.0 hours laboratory class per week on weekdays during the day from week 31 to week 43 and delivered via face-to-face.
|One 3-hour examination||60||01, 02, 03, 04, 05|
|One programming assignment (1,500 words-equivalent)||40||01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06|