MECHANICS OF COMPOSITE MATERIALS
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
In this subject, student will learn the fundamental principles of the mechanics of composite materials and apply these principles to design of fibre composite laminates. Students are provided with a solid grounding of the properties of composite materials, processing and manufacturing methods, micromechanics and lamination theory and the design of composite structures.
SchoolSchool Engineering&Mathematical Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorTai Thai
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Prerequisites Students must be admitted in one of the following courses: SMENC or SMENCB
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Mechanics of Composite Materials||Prescribed||Jones RM, 1998||Taylor & Francis|
|Readings||Engineering Mechanics of Composite Materials||Recommended||Daniel IM, Ishai O, 2006||Oxford Press|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Demonstrate competency in understanding the failure theory and apply it into the design of laminated composite structures
- Various failure criteria will be introduced in the lectures. Design examples will be also provided in the lectures and workshops.
02. Analyse the bending behaviour of laminated composite beams and plates
- Theoretical equations of the classical lamination theory will be introduced in the lectures. The application the classical lamination theory to predict the deflection and stresses in laminated plates and beams will be demonstrated in details in lectures, and reinforced during the workshops.
03. Calculate the buckling load of laminated composite beams and plates
- Introduce the buckling behaviour of laminated structures. Apply the classical lamination theory to predict the buckling load of laminated plates and beams.
04. Calculate the natural frequency of laminated composite beams and plates
- Introduce the vibration behaviour of laminated structures. Apply the classical lamination theory to predict the natural frequency of laminated plates and beams.
Select to view your study options…