DESIGN FOR STRUCTURAL DYNAMICS
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
This subject introduces students to the essential skills for undertaking dynamic analysis for various structural types and systems. Utilizing hand calculations evaluated by commercial computational packages, students will gain the ability to conduct efficient structural dynamics modelling and analysis resulting in more economic and sustainable designs attempted for construction. Upon successful completion of this subject, students will be prepared to undertake professional structural design against earthquake or transient loading types as a graduate engineer under the supervision of a charted engineer.
SchoolSchool Engineering&Mathematical Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorHaider Al Abadi
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Prerequisites Student must be enrolled in SMENC or SMENCB
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Dynamics of Structures Theory and Applications to Earthquake Engineering||Prescribed||Anil K. Chopra; 2017; 5th Ed||Pearson Education Limited|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Demonstrate well developed understanding in measuring the dynamic properties of structural systems.
- Dynamic properties are introduced in the lectures and reinforced practically in the workshop classes. Students are required to demonstrate competency in solving practice problems.
02. Conduct systematic strategies to develop and analyse numerical models for predicting the dynamics response(s) of investigated structures.
- The methodology for calculating the response of single and multi-degree of freedom systems are introduced in lectures, reinforced during tutorials and practiced by solving problems. Students are required to demonstrate competency in solving these calculations in the assignments and final exam.
03. Apply finite element modelling to perform dynamic analysis
- Conducting finite element modelling analyses for structures under dynamics actions are introduced in lectures, reinforced during tutorials and practiced by solving problems. Students are required to demonstrate competency in solving these calculations in the assignments and final exam.
04. Undertake independent checks of results generated by computer when performing seismic design/checks
- Design and check requirements are taught in lectures and reinforced in tutorial and laboratory classes. Reinforcement of this teaching is through practice problems, competency in solving these is demonstrated through the assignments and exam questions.
Select to view your study options…