INTRODUCTION TO DIAGNOSTIC AUDIOLOGY
Credit points: 15
This course introduces you to the fundamental clinical assessment procedures used in the audiological evaluation of adult patients. Through lectures and online workshop activities, you will learn how to take case histories, perform otoscopy, pure tone audiometry, acoustic immittance tests as well as speech discrimination tests. You will develop clinical decision making skills, as you learn to select and administer appropriate tests, to interpret and integrate your audiological findings, and write comprehensive reports incorporating referrals and appropriate management strategies.
SchoolSchool of Allied Health
Subject Co-ordinatorBojana Sarkic
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 4 - UG/Hons/1st Yr PG
Prerequisites Must be enrolled in one of the following course codes: HZHCCA, HZHAUD, HZHCAU and must have passed 300 credit points. Or Must be enrolled in HMAUD and no other rule applies.
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Handbook of clinical audiology.||Prescribed||Katz, J et al (eds) 2009||6TH EDN, LIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS, BALTIMORE.|
|Readings||Audiology diagnosis.||Recommended||Roeser, RJ, Valente, M & Hosford-Dunn, H (eds) 2007||THIEME, NY.|
|Readings||Audiology: The fundamentals.||Recommended||Bess, F. & Humes, LE 2008||4TH EDN, LIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS, BALTIMORE.|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Integrate theoretical knowledge about diagnostic pure tone audiometric assessment techniques and apply this knowledge in generating sound clinical hypotheses.
- Lecture and workshop classes: (i) pure tone audiometry (ii) test preparation-case history taking, case file review, otoscopic examination and client preparation; (iii) pure tone audiometry-air and bone conduction testing procedures; (iv) classification of hearing loss; (v) clinical masking in air and bone conduction testing. Four small group practical classes. Role playing exercise-students will be given a number of scenarios and will work in pairs to practise case history taking and preparing/instructing the client. Components of a written examination.
02. Integrate theoretical knowledge about tympanometry, acoustic reflex testing and speech audiometry assessment techniques and apply this knowledge in generating sound clinical hypotheses.
- Lecture and workshop classes: (i) theoretical basis of immittance audiometry; (ii) tympanometry-procedures, applications and classification (iii) acoustic reflex testing and reflex decay; (iv) Eustachian tube tests; (v) applications of speech audiometry and introduction to the speech audiogram; (vi) procedure for speech audiometry; (vii) speech masking. Two small group practical classes. Components of a written examination.
03. Integrate and consolidate clinical information gleaned from the diagnostic test battery and interpret the results to accurately determine the nature and level of hearing impairment.
- 3. Lecture and workshop classes: (i) the audiology test battery - interpretation and integration of findings; (ii) report writing and referral. PBL workshops - case studies. Pairs of students will be provided with a case history, and associated audiological findings, and will be asked to interpret and integrate the results, and present their conclusions to the class. The class will then engage in open discussion regarding the choice of tests, completeness of data, possible diagnosis and referral options for that case. Components of a written examination.
04. Synthesize knowledge to identify and solve complex problems in audiological report-writing for clinical cases based on test results and design appropriate management and referral plans.
- Report-writing tutorial. Lectures and workshops. Written examination
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2018, Semester 1, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorBojana Sarkic
One 3.0 hours lecture per week from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
|One two-hour written examination.||60||01, 02, 03, 04|
|Clinical report writing assignment (equivalent to 1,500 words)||25||01, 02, 03, 04|
|3 x short question quizzes (equivalent to 1000 words)||15||01, 02|