ANTHROPOLOGY OF WITCH HUNTS
Credit points: 15
During Europe's Great Witch-Hunt, around 60,000 people were tried and killed under suspicion of attending Satanic sabbats. In 1690s Salem, frightening visions and fits led to dozens of hangings. But witch-hunts are not just things of the past. Today, hatred and fear leads to the victimisation of AIDs victims and children in different parts of the world. Anthropologists offer unique and profound insights into witch-hunts by applying sophisticated analytical tools, and in more recent occurrences, by actually being there when such victimisation occurs. In this subject, we critically examine their research.
SchoolSchool of Humanities & Social Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorAidan Craney
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 3 - UG
Incompatible subjects ANT2AWH
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Europe's Inner Demons: An Enquiry Inspired by the Great Witch-Hunt.||Preliminary||Cohn, N 1975||SUSSEX UNIVERSITY PRESS, CHATTO|
|Readings||Return to Laughter||Preliminary||Davies||READERS, LONDON|
|Readings||Witches & neighbours: the social and cultural context of European witchcraft||Preliminary||Briggs, R 1998||PENGUIN, NEW YORK|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Critically evaluate key texts related to witch-hunts.
- Multiple choice questions.
02. Write a critical and coherent essay that demonstrates awareness of benefits and shortcomings of various anthropological theories.
- Essay, Weekly seminar assessments.
- Related graduate capabilities and elements:
- Literacies and Communication Skills (Writing,Speaking,Cultural Literacy)
- Personal and Professional Skills (Teamwork including leadership and working in groups)
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2020, Semester 1, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorAidan Craney
One 3.0 hours lecture/seminar per week on weekdays during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
|Weekly seminar assessments (1,000- word equivalent)||25||02|
|One 2,000-word essay||50||02|
|Weekly multiple-choice questions (1,000-word equivalent)||25||01|