Financial resources

Financial stress is common for many students during COVID-19 due to loss or difficulty in finding work, ineligibility for job seeker or job keeper, changes in circumstances plus additional financial responsibilities due other family members losing jobs, and more.Here is a list of some other useful financial supports available in the community.

Please note: The below information is intended as a guide only, please check all information and eligibility requirements on the governing pages.

Government support

Australian Federal Government Resources

COVID -19 Early Release of Super allows can apply for early release of super subject to meeting eligibility requirements.

$1500 Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment - Distributed by federal government for Victorians who can't earn an income because they must self-isolate or quarantine at home, or are caring for someone with COVID-19.


Centrelink provides access to government support such as JobSeeker, rent assistance, Coronavirus supplement and study support payments. There are strict eligibility requirements, please check eligibility.

Coronavirus Supplement - additional financial support if you're affected by Coronavirus

Centrelink Contact page

Centrelink and COVID19 - a general information page that provides more support options specific to the pandemic.

JobSeeker Payment - Financial help if you’re between 22 and Age Pension age and looking for work. It’s also for when you’re sick or injured and can’t do your usual work or study for a short time

Victorian State Government Resources

$450 Coronavirus Test Isolation Payment - Providing support to Victorian workers who are waiting for test results.

Department of Health and Human Resources - A general support page, find out about the Victorian government support available for all affected by COVID19.

Study Melbourne - For International students, Study Melbourne has lots information on services and resources to support International Students, including the emergency relief fund.

Department of Human Services – Concessions Unit provides disability, financial and welfare support, hardship and health concessions.

Tenants Victoria can provide information and advice particularly on the recent changes to rental law including ban on rent increases and evictions.

Victoria Housing are currently providing one off rent relief grants to those experiencing rental hardship.

Victoria Housing Crisis & Emergency Accommodation, help if you are homeless, or at risk of homelessness or family violence.

Other resources

National Debt Hotline, access to free financial counselling plus tips and guides to manage your financial situation.

MoneySmart is a national website run by ASIC (Australian Securities and Investments Commission) providing practical advice on budgeting, managing debts, borrowing and credit.

No-Interest-Loan-Scheme provide individuals and families on low incomes with access to safe, fair and affordable credit.

La Trobe University support

La Trobe University

La Trobe Financial Assistance -  La Trobe is offering a number of different financial support options you may be eligible for including:

Financial Counselling from Student Unions and Associations

La Trobe Student Association (LTSA) - all campuses (Albury/Wogona, Bendigo, City, Melbourne (Bundoora), Mildura, Sheparton)

LTSA Student Association Financial Counselling Service provides free financial counselling.

Enquire via LTSA reception today:

Phone: 9479 6503


Visit: Upper Agora West, Melbourne (Bundoora) campus, 10-3pm.

Not-for-profit organisations

Saver Plus Free Financial Education Program - Saver Plus is a free financial education program that matches your savings, dollar for dollar, up to $500. Enquire now at

Vincent de Paul Society provide a range of services, including financial support, emergency relief, food and food vouchers.

The Salvation Army can help with financial advice and support for immediate basic needs in a crisis including family violence and risk of homelessness.

Empower provide a number of food relief centers for those in need of emergency food support.

The Red Cross can provide emergency relief, in particular at the moment, for those on temporary visas.

Location specific support: local councils and geographical areas

Darebin City Council provides information and support on how to access emergency relief, financial assistance and food.

Whittlesea Community Connections provides food relief, information, free legal advice and social isolation support.

Mildura Community Relief Service is a council run service during Covid-19 which connects people undergoing financial hardship to services such as food packages and shopping vouchers.

Greater Shepparton Relief provides a council information and advice service on how to access a range of services in the Shepparton area.

Wodonga Council provides general information and advice on support available.

City of Greater Bendigo - Their website lists a range of supports including financial support. Click here for a condensed quick list

For a comprehensive list of external support ranging from 24hr crisis support to emergency food and housing, have a look at our External Support page.

If you know of any great resources we may have missed or would like to provide any feedback, let us know! Email Rose at