Students from a refugee background

For information on special entry schemes and ways to get a place at University go to Pathways to La Trobe.

If you are a student from a refugee background and hold a Permanent Humanitarian Visa or Australian Citizenship, we have a support program to assist you.

What type of support is available to students?

  • Contact the AccessAbility Hub, who can answer questions and provide assistance throughout your course.
  • A $500 bursary for commencing students from a refugee background (SRB). Access more details on how to apply for a SRB bursary
  • Assistance applying for an Equipment Bursary to help with the cost of buying a laptop or other study related equipment.
  • Financial Assistance Scheme available to enrolled students.
  • Provision of personal tutors if required
  • Assistance applying for a La Trobe University Access Scholarships for commencing students

How do I get offered a place at University?

Because you are from a refugee background, you may be eligible to apply through a Special Entry and Access Scheme to gain a place at University.

How much will uni cost?

The course fees vary depending on the type of course you want to do and the units you take within that course. View the Student Contributions page, where you will find the approximate cost for one year's full-time study, for different types of courses. For more cost details of the course you wish to study, refer to the course guide website.

How do I pay for my University course?

You may be eligible to defer your fee payments via HECS-Help until after you have graduated and secured a job with good pay.

You do have to survive while you are studying, so you may have to work in the four months of University breaks and save money to live on. You may also want to think about studying part-time and working part-time. You may be eligible for Centrelink payments while you study if you have a full-time study load (which mean studying three or four subjects each semester). Contact Centrelink for more information.

Student profiles

Read what some of the students who have been assisted by our Support Program say about their experience of studying at La Trobe University. Read more at Student profiles.

Who should I contact?

Contact the AccessAbility Hub. They can:

  • answer questions about the University
  • provide you with some financial assistance
  • help you with applying for a place and scholarships at La Trobe.