Here are some resources you might find helpful in defining your sexuality, gender and sex, finding support, and social connections.
- Equal Love - a campaign of the Victorian Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby, and works with dozens of other community organisations to put pressure on the government to change the legislation and allow for marriage equality. Their site provides updates on the issue and information on how to get involved.
- Jobwatch - If you feel you've experienced discrimination or unlawful harassment at work you can contact Jobwatch who are an employment rights legal centre that provides assistance to Victorian workers about their rights at work. They have a free and confidential phone service and can advise and assist you in taking action.
- Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays Victoria (PFLAG) - a group of parents, families and friends of gay, lesbian and bisexual people who meet once a month and offer support and friendship to families, particularly parents, and also to members of the GLBTI community who may need support in coming out to their family and friends.
- Transgender Victoria - their mission is described as trying to achieve justice and equity for all transgender people, including those who identify as cross dressers, those who identify as being transsexual, and all other people with gender-related issues. Their site contains news and resources.
- Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission contact The Comission to lodge a complaint of harassment or discrimination or for information about your rights.
- Victorian Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby runs campaigns and events to support and promote equality for Victoria's Gay and Lesbian community. Their site contains news and resources regarding issues around equality and opportunities to get involved in campaigns.
Social and recreational
- Australian GLBTIQ Multicultural Council - For groups, programs and support for GLBTIQ individual/groups from a multicultural background.
- Gay news network - Gay News Network publishes many of Australia's GLBTIQ street presses including national magazines such as Cherrie (for lesbians) and AXN (for gay men), as well as publications for each state and territory in Australia. All of these news sources can be accessed through this site, or the site alone has national GLBTIQ news.
- Diversity Project Shepparton
- Diversity Out North, Coburg
- Fab CV, Bendigo
- Hares and Hyenas - Melbourne's queer bookshop has a huge range of fiction and non-fiction titles, coffee table books, erotica, DVDs, cards and the latest magazines from around the world, as well as tickets to all the main queer events, Hares & Hyenas is the one-stop shop for all your queer reading and entertainment needs.
- Hume Phoenix Club - Hume Phoenix is a social support group for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Intersex (GLBTIQ) people, and their family and friends, living in the Albury-Wodonga region.
- Joy FM - JOY 94.9 is an independent voice for the diverse lesbian and gay communities. You can access podcasts, blogs and listen online to award winning music & talk, news & current affairs, arts & cultural programs. There's also information on the site about how to volunteer with Joy.
- Minus 18 - Minus18 is the largest Melbourne hangout for gay teens who want to have a good time and meet others just like them. They run dance parties, social events, workshops and tons more. Minus18 is run by young volunteers with a desire to support. Their site also features a forum and online resources for young people dealing with issues like coming out.
- Queer Muslims in Australia - QMs (Queer Muslims in Australia) is a Yahoo! group based in Australia for and by Muslims who are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Questioning, Queer or/and Qurious (GLBTIQ) and wish to engage in a safe space online. They mix sets and welcome all Muslims and encourage involvement and participation as per the individual. The vision is to be a progressive and supportive forum that allows for and celebrates diversity. Queer Muslims or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rainbow Radio - Fridays at 9.30pm to midnight - connecting the GLBTI community in Central Victoria since 1988 Broadcasting on Phoenix 106.7FM and streaming online at www.phoenixfm.org.
- LOTL - LOTL is a free national magazine for Australian lesbians, it includes news, lifestyle, scene listings and classifieds. It can also be read online.
- Melbourne International Queer Film Festival - In March each year Melbourne hosts one of the worlds largest queer film festivals. Check the site to volunteer, become a member or subscribe for the newsletter to stay up to date of festival movie news.
- Midsumma - Melbourne's annual Queer Celebration, is a federation of arts and cultural events spread over six municipalities and located in well over 70 different venues across Melbourne. Midsumma is presented over three weeks from mid January to February and, now in its 22nd year, is a significant attraction on the Melbourne festival calendar. The site includes information on getting involved as a volunteer or as a stall holder.
- Victoria Pride Society - organise events throughout the year that celebrate, recognise and support the GLBTIQ community. Their signature event is the Pride march, their site contains information on events and how to get involved.
- SameSame - news and forum site for Australia's GLBTIQ community, the site includes city specific news as well as national and international news, ranging from political to lifestyle stories. You'll also find listings for clubs, bars, pubs one off nights and events, as well a massive forum of GLBTIQ Australians to participate in.
- WayOut Macedon Ranges
- WayOut Wodonga
- Y Gender, Melbourne.
- It Gets Better Video - this message of hope for GLBTIQ young people was made by staff and students of La Trobe University. It is La Trobe University's contribution to the It Gets Better campaign started in response to the suicides of a number of young people bullied because of their sexuality. Many individuals, organisations and groups have made a contribution is with messages of encouragement and hope. We hope you like ours.
- This is Oz - check out the This Is Oz online photo gallery where people are helping fight discrimination against Australia's gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) community. Part art project, part human rights campaign, This Is Oz is all about making Australia a place where everyone belongs. La Trobe University has started to make a presence here too.
- It's pronounced METROsexual
- Gay and Lesbian Health Victoria videos.