University Mental Health Day
University Mental Health Day is this Tuesday 5th May. Now in its 7th year, La Trobe joins with other Australian and New Zealand Universities to raise awareness of the mental health and well-being needs of those who study and work in higher education settings.
This University Mental Health Day 2020, it is more important than ever that we continue to raise awareness and support each other, as there is no doubt we are going through some strange times. Looking after our wellbeing and mental health has never been more essential.
That is why the theme for this years University Mental Health Day at La Trobe is Community and Connection.
La Trobe is a strong and diverse community, and connection with our community and our friends and family is an important protector for our mental health.
La Trobe University Mental Health Day 2020 video
To help spread this message of community and connection, as well as displaying our critical cultural qualities of connection and care, we have created a compilation video of the La Trobe community showing some of the many ways you are connecting, self-isolating and coping during this period, to share and reach out to others.
We have a number of virtual events happening this week, as well as throughout the year, to support the wellbeing and mental health of those in our community. Check out our Events Page for events happening this week
Health and Wellbeing services and resources
- Have an appointment with La Trobe’s Counselling Team via telephone or video (Zoom).
- Not sure what sort of support you need? Fill in this form to request a callback from our Wellbeing team.
- Use our La Trobe University Crisis Line for Out-of-Hours Mental Health and Wellbeing Support. Phone 1300 146 307 or text 0488 884 100. This service operates 5pm-9am on weekdays and 24 hours during weekends and public holidays.
Need further support?
- Lifeline – For anyone experiencing a personal crisis, 24 hours a day 13 11 14.
- Beyond Blue – The government has created a new Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service which offers further Wellbeing services and resources
- Headspace – Check out their COVID-19 resource on coping with stress related to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Switchboard - for LGBTIQA+ specific support and referral