R U OK?
R U OK? (Are you Ok?) Day is Thursday 10th September 2020. It’s our national day of action dedicated to reminding everyone to ask, “Are you OK?” and to remember every day of the year to support people who may be struggling with life’s ups and downs.
This year in the build-up to R U OK? Day we’re encouraging everyone to understand that There's more to say after 'Are you ok?'. Especially important during the pandemic, learn how you can effectively ask the people around you how they are.
All students and staff are encouraged get together to run a virtual event and be involved. Remember to wear yellow on September 10th to support mental health.
This year we have to move online but there are lots of activities, information and events to connect with your friends or even to make new ones!
Stress Less Sesh, 4pm – 4.30-pm 10th September
Hosted by our very own Health Science students and run by our very own counsellor Janine Stewart, learn more about HOW and WHY stress develops and explore some key coping mechanisms to break free from stress!
This session will provide a better insight about the meaning of stress and the impacts which stress can have on you mentally, physically and spiritually. Learn about La Trobe’s FREE Wellbeing services available to you and finish with a free short deep breathing exercise.
Relaxation and Meditation Session, 10th September, 1.30pm – 2pm
The Student Wellbeing team want to give the Uni’s staff and students an opportunity to unwind during the working week. Hosted by counsellor Martin Gladman weekly on a Thursday, Martin is hosting a half-hour online meditation and relaxation session until the 5th November from 1.30pm – 2pm via Zoom. Although it is a weekly session, you can join at any time.
My La Trobe
LTSU Stress Less Week, 7th – 13th September
Hosted across Zoom, Facebook and Instagram, this week is all about you, your
- Meet the Animals: Live Streamed Tour
- Lockdown Social: International
- R U OK? Day Dance the Night Away Zoom Party
- Sunday Craft and Chill Sessions
- Acoustic Afternoons
Feel Well Module
For one week, Epigeum are giving La Trobe students free access to their Feeling Well module which is part of the "Being Well, Living Well" online toolkit in honour of R U OK? Day 2020.
From the 9th September to 17th September, login to have access to 4 modules, ‘Confidence, self-esteem and resilience’, ‘Am I good enough?’, ‘Stress, anxiety and depression’, and ‘Self-harm and suicidal thoughts’. Feeling Well provides students with practical guidance, self-help resources, and signposting to further support, and can be accessed on any device in an online ‘safe space’.
How students can access our Feeling Well content for free:
- Visit the Epigeum platform: https://courses.epigeum.com/
- Use the drop-down user menu in the top-right corner to register as a new user.
- When prompted, enter the following ‘Token’ code: 968e2ab4.
- You will be sent an activation link by email (check your junk folder if you do not receive this). Click on this to activate your account.
- Once this process is complete, you can log into your new account onto their platform, where you will have access to the Feeling Well content, stored under ‘My Courses’.
If you have any questions or issues accessing the resource, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to hold an event
- Organise a virtual R U OK? event in your area and let us know what you are doing?
- There are many simple ways to bring people together and raise awareness like hosting a virtual morning tea or wear yellow day.
- Send us a fun photo of your event so we can capture the moment and use it to promote the message R U OK?
How to ask
- Ask R U OK?
- Listen without judgement
- Encourage action
- Follow up