Support for low income and disadvantaged students

For information on special entry schemes and ways to get a place at University go to Pathways to La Trobe.

We acknowledge that many students may experience financial difficulties at some time. There are a range of services and supports that may assist you if you are experiencing financial hardship.

Student Equipment Bursaries for low income students

The Student Equipment Bursary aims to provide a number of bursaries to domestic students who can demonstrate financial and educational disadvantage to enable them to purchase equipment for study purposes, such as a computer or course related equipment (e.g. mandatory tool kits for Health Science students). Priority will be given to students experiencing multiple disadvantage, such as those who are low SES and have a disability, are carers of a person with a disability or those from a refugee background.

Students at risk of homelessness

AccessAbility Hub have a small number of bursaries available for students at risk of homelessness, who are experiencing financial disadvantage.


  • Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate course at La Trobe University
  • Be referred for the bursary by the La Trobe Student Association or another relevant University department (for example, Counselling or Accommodation Services)
  • Be able to demonstrate financial hardship and reasons for risk of homelessness

Email AccessAbility Hub for more information

Travel bursaries for regional students on a low income

If you study at one of our regional campuses and are eligible for a Centrelink Health Care Card, you may be eligible for travel bursaries when you need to attend compulsory seminars and workshops at the Melbourne Campus.

Students from a refugee background bursary

To assist students from a refugee background starting university, all eligible commencing undergraduate domestic students who have a refugee background, and who register with the Support Program for Students with a Refugee Background, will receive a bursary which is valued at $500.

Care leaver bursaries

Care leavers are people who spent time in formal out-of-home care (e.g. foster care, residential care, kinship care, ward of the State) before they were 18 and have subsequently transitioned out of the system. La Trobe University would like to encourage care leavers and young people still in out-of-home care to apply for university.

To assist care leavers starting university, all eligible commencing undergraduate domestic students who have spent time in formal out-of-home care, and who apply by the due date, will receive the La Trobe University Care Leaver Bursary. This bursary is valued at $500.

Financial support and services

Student financial support

Visit Student Financial Support for information on student loans and other financial assistance.

Financial Counselling

If you are experiencing financial difficulties, you may benefit from seeing a financial counsellor through the Student Association

Community and Government Services

Community Services - Search for Community Services in your area through Infoxchange.

Bond Loan Scheme - The Department of Human Services has a Bond Loan Scheme you can use to pay your rental bond.

Housing Assistance – The Victorian Government Housing Website has information and resources that may assist you in finding housing or staying in your current home. This website also has information about applying for public housing or community housing.

Utility Relief Grant - if you are experiencing difficulties in paying your utility bills you may benefit from the Utility Relief Grant.

Concession Cards for Public Transport - you may be eligible for a Victorian Public Transport Concession Card. You will receive your public transport tertiary concession card application form in your La Trobe Student email within 24 hours of you meeting all of the eligibility criteria.

  • Check you are enrolled on a full time basis (at least 0.375 EFTSL per semester) via StudentOnLine. If you have submitted a variation to enrolment form you may not meet the public transport concession card eligibility criteria until this form is processed (i.e. the subject appears as enrolled on StudentOnLine)
  • Check your application for your student ID card has been approved. You will receive a photo approval email when your photo has been processed and your card is printed (this is different to the upload confirmation email you will receive - please visit Getting your student ID card). Your public transport concession card application form cannot be prepared until your student ID card is approved.

Health Care Cards - you may be eligible for a Health Care Card, even if you are not entitled to other Centrelink benefits. Health Care Cards may provide a range of benefits, including discounts on some utility bills.

Student Start-Up Loan - Student Start-Up Loans are available through Centrelink for full-time students who are studying an approved course and receiving Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY.

VLINE travel assistance for low SES students - if you are regional student and experiencing financial difficulties in getting student travel passes to get to and from University, Travellers Aid may able to assist you. For application and more details please read VLine Travel Assistance.



Search for scholarships available to La Trobe University students.