MATLAB, by MathWorks, is the world's leading developer of technical computing software for engineers and scientists in industry, government, and education. There is a site license for academic usage of MathWorks products at La Trobe, available University wide to all staff and students.
Staff and Students are licensed to use Matlab on personal computers.
Commercial usage of MathWorks products is not permitted by this site license.
MatLab and Mac OS 10.12 Sierra
The new version of Mac OS 10.12 “Sierra”, introduces changes that impact many non-United States regions and locales. These changes are not currently compatible with any version of MATLAB. We recommend that you learn more on mathworks.com and do not upgrade to Mac OS 10.12 at this time.
Install Mathworks on a University computer
- Contact the ICT Service Desk on 9479 1500 for assistance with installing Mathworks to a university computer.
Install Mathworks on a personal computer
Create a MathWorks Account using your university email address at: ttp://mathworks.com/accesslogin/createProfile.do
When creating an account, you must select an option from the How will you use MathWorks software drop-down list.
- Staff and Post Graduate researchers should select Teaching or research in school.
- Students should select Student use.
- Visit the Mathworks License Center: http://mathworks.com/licensecenter
- Click Add License in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select Associate by Activation Key and click Continue.
- When prompted, enter the appropriate Activation Key.
- Navigate to: http://mathworks.com/downloads/web_downloads/select_release
- Click the Download button to download the current release.
- Click the Installer button to download the installer.
Install and activate Mathworks
- Locate the installer you downloaded in a file browser. It should be located in the default download location, unless you specified another location. The name of the installer file is:
- Windows: matlab_
- Mac OS X: matlab_<release>
represents the release number.
- Windows: matlab_
- Start the installer:
- Windows: Double-click the installer file you downloaded in the previous step. The Windows Self-Extractor runs, and then the installer starts.
- Mac OS X: Double-click the installer file you downloaded in the previous step. This action extracts the files and creates another folder called matlab_<release>
_maci64 , where represents the release number. Inside this folder, double-click InstallForMacOSX to start the installer.
- In the MathWorks installer, select Log in with a MathWorks Account and follow the online instructions.
- When prompted, select the license you wish to use.
- Select the products you want to download and install.
- After downloading and installing your products, ensure Activate MATLAB is ticked and click Next.
MATLAB will expire error message
If you are receiving an error message to say MATLAB will expire please follow the below:
- Open MATLAB (If the license has already expired the activation client will launch and you can skip the next step).
- Navigate to the Help menu and select Licensing.
- Click Activate Software.
- Choose to Activate using Internet.
- Once reactivated you will need to restart MATLAB before the new license file is recognized. If the installation has already expired, you will be prompted to activate when attempting to launch MATLAB. As long as the activation finishes successfully it will roll over to the new license file once the old one expires. You may continue to see the expiration warning in MATLAB until the old file expires.
For a list of products, please visit the MathWorks website.