MATLAB, by MathWorks, is the world's leading developer of technical computing software for engineers and scientists in industry, government, and education. There is a site license for academic usage of MathWorks products at La Trobe, available University wide to all staff and students.
The individual license may be used by students, faculty, and staff to download an individual stand-alone copy of MATLAB and install it onto their personal machines (Not LTU computers). The MATLAB Portal is used to distribute standalone licenses for La Trobe University students, faculty, and staff. You may download MATLAB, get free training, contact support, and discover additional resources.
Commercial usage of MathWorks products is not permitted by this site license.
MatLab and Mac OS 10.12 Sierra
The new version of Mac OS 10.12 “Sierra”, introduces changes that impact many non-United States regions and locales. These changes are not currently compatible with any version of MATLAB. We recommend that you learn more on mathworks.com and do not upgrade to Mac OS 10.12 at this time.
Install MATLAB on a University computer
- Contact the ICT Service Desk on 9479 1500 for assistance with installing MATLAB to a university computer.
Install MATLAB on a personal computer
Summary of Steps
- Go to La Trobe University' s MATLAB Portal to register and download the software. https://www.mathworks.com/academia/tah-portal/la-trobe-university-30602607.html
- Click "Get Started Now" in the Download MATLAB box.
- You will be asked to create a MathWorks Account. Once complete, you will automatically be associated to La Trobe University's MATLAB license allowing you to:
Download and Install Mathworks
Create a MathWorks Account using your university email address at: La Trobe University’ s MATLAB Portal
When creating an account, you must select an option from the How will you use MathWorks software drop-down list.
- Staff and Post Graduate researchers should select Teaching or research in school.
- Students should select Student use.
- Once your account is created it will automatically be associated with the La Trobe University licence at which point you may download the software. Mathworks License Center: http://mathworks.com/licensecenter
- Click Install and Activate menu option in the top of the licence centre window.
- Select the version of MATLAB you wish to install.
- Select the operating system version of MATLAB you wish to install.
- During the installation process you will be prompted to log in with your MathWorks Account.
- Licenses available to you will be displayed select the licence you wish to use with this installation and select Next.
- Select the installation location and select Next.
- Select the products to install and select Next.
- Select the desired installation options and select Next.
- Click the Download button to download the current release.
- Review your selection and select Install.
- Once installation is complete follow the license activation procedure.
MATLAB will expire error message
If you are receiving an error message to say MATLAB will expire please follow the below:
- Open MATLAB (If the license has already expired the activation client will launch and you can skip the next step).
- Navigate to the Help menu and select Licensing.
- Click Activate Software.
- Choose to Activate using Internet.
- Once reactivated you will need to restart MATLAB before the new license file is recognized. If the installation has already expired, you will be prompted to activate when attempting to launch MATLAB. As long as the activation finishes successfully it will roll over to the new license file once the old one expires. You may continue to see the expiration warning in MATLAB until the old file expires.
For a complete list of products, please visit the MathWorks website.