Making a complaint

During your studies, you may need assistance to resolve an issue with the University. This might be an administrative matter, a problem with a subject or course, or involve the alleged inappropriate conduct of a student or staff member. Our Student Complaints Mechanism (SCM) can help you resolve the issue.

The policy and procedural principles of the SCM are set out in the Student Complaints Management Policy.

SCM Policy Statement

La Trobe University’s SCM seeks to provide a student complaints mechanism that is:

  • accessible
  • timely
  • applies principles of procedural fairness
  • attempts to resolve complaints, as close to the source possible
  • maintains appropriate levels of confidentiality
  • free from victimisation, and does not investigate complaints without substance.

We collect and analyse complaints data to drive continuous quality improvement across the University.

Complaints to submit via the SCM

Complaints submitted via the SCM may relate to:

  • customer service/administration issues
  • matters of process related to the University experience
  • academic standards and educational quality related issues
  • third parties providing services on behalf of La Trobe
  • behaviour by other students or University staff, which contravenes a code of conduct or policy.

Complaints not to submit via the SCM

The following issues cannot be actioned by the SCM. Please access the information via the hyperlinks below for the correct administrative pathway for these matters:

Complaint Outcomes

A finding that the complaint is substantiated or partially substantiated may lead to any combination of the following outcomes, or any other outcome that is appropriate for the circumstances:

  • correction of the administrative error
  • implementation of a negotiated solution
  • intervention by appropriate academic representative
  • counselling or training of one, both or all parties
  • referral to another process within the University (eg. academic progress process)
  • referral for disciplinary action, as appropriate (for staff or students).

Make a complaint

Have something you want to tell us about? Fill in our complaints form.