ASC3WPP is a self-sourced subject. This means that you will be expected to source your own placement and have it approved by the Subject Coordinator in order to participate. The University has opportunities become available from time-to-time and these are posted below under "University-sourced advertised placements for ASC3WPP". Check regularly for updates. If you are having difficulty finding a placement, please email us.
- placement activities must constitute a genuine work integrated learning opportunity
- you must have a dedicated workplace supervisor.
How to self-source a placement
Finding a placement is similar to job hunting and most students find it a great confidence builder and networking exercise in its own right.
Career Ready staff are available to show you how to go about finding your own placement by:
- showing you how to find companies in your area of study
- helping you with what to say on the phone
- helping you prepare your CV
- helping you prepare interview techniques should an interview with your employer be required. You can also use the Big Interview web resources to practice your interview skills.
To source your placement, you will need to:
- Determine what organisations you would like to work for. Look for one in the discipline area you enjoy. Do they match your values, e.g. a Not-for-Profit organisation? Consider what you like doing.
- Prepare your CV and cover letter. We recommend you make an appointment with the Career Ready team on campus for some valuable help with this process.
- Speak to family, friends, neighbours, personal and professional contacts, academic staff at Uni, and find out if they know about organisations that interest you and if they have any useful contacts. If they do, ask if they can put you in touch with someone who could possibly help you get a placement.
- Find out as much as you can about your preferred organisations – aim for a few to help you achieve success. The background information obtained will help you demonstrate that you are interested in ‘this’ organisation.
- When searching for placements, pay attention to any qualifications or skills required by the employer. The University will not cover any travel or accommodation costs associated with the placement – they must be paid by you. All students are covered by the La Trobe University Insurance Policy while on placement.
Have a bullet-point list of questions ready to ask. Once you can speak to somebody, introduce yourself and let them know that you are calling to ask if they will be able to host you for your placement. They will usually want to know:
- When you would like to undertake your placement
- Semester 1 2020 - any time between 2 March - 29 May 2020
- Semester 2 2020 - any time between 27 July - 23 October 2020
- Summer 1 2020 - any time between 2 November 2020 - 12 February 2021.
- Dates can be flexible within these ranges; remember that you need to complete 100-120 hours
What you need to do - your work should not be focussed on the everyday running of the organisation. It is important that it is a learning opportunity for you, and that you are not just replacing a paid staff member. Check with your Subject Coordinator if you are not sure that what you are sourcing is suitable.
Keep notes - who you spoke to and when. Jot down details if you left a voicemail message. Make sure that you provide your phone number.
Don’t be afraid to follow up. If you call and leave a message, it’s fine to call again approximately 2-3 business days later. If you speak with someone and they tell you they will get back to you, ask when you can expect to hear from them. If you haven’t heard back in 2-3 business days after the date they said they would ring, it’s ok to call back.
Once you have reached an agreement with your host organisation, you are ready to submit your project details using the Position Description form and the Work Integrated Learning Placement Agreement.
University-sourced advertised placements for ASC3WPP
From time-to-time we are contacted by employers offering placement opportunities. The following placements are currently available to undergraduate students, and we encourage interested students to apply. Note that some organisations offer placements to more than one student.
If you are interested in applying for a placement, please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with details of the placement in the subject line of your email.
|Company Name||Discipline Area||Location||Timing||No. of positions||Placement Description|
|Arnold Thomas & Becker Lawyers||Marketing||Melbourne||Sem 1 2020||tbc||Marketing Assistant. Arnold Thomas & Becker|
|La Trobe University School of Humanities and Social Sciences||Marketing, Media & Communications, Arts, Business, Commerce, Media, Data Analytics||Bundoora||Sem 1 2020||1||Website & Digital Maintenance Support Officer. La Trobe University School of Humanities and Social Sciences|
|Two Crowns Marketing Consultancy||Marketing, Media & Communications, Journalism, Business||Armadale||Summer 2019 and Sem 1 2020||1|
Marketing Communications Intern. Two Crowns Marketing Consultancy
|Tough Cookie Marketing||Media & Communications, Marketing, Business||Bendigo||Sem 1 2020||1||Digital Marketing. Tough Cookie Marketing|
|City of Greater Bendigo. Bendigo Easter Festival||All disciplines, Event Management||Bendigo||January-April 2020||1||Entertainment Assistant. Bendigo Easter Festival|
|City of Greater Bendigo. Bendigo Easter Festival||All disciplines, Event Management||Bendigo||January-April 2020||1||Parade Assistant. Bendigo Easter Festival|
|City of Greater Bendigo. Bendigo Easter Festival||All disciplines, Event Management||Bendigo||January-April 2020||1||Volunteer Assistant. Bendigo Easter Festival|
|La Trobe Communication Clinic||All disciplines. Business beneficial||Bundoora||Sem 1 2020||1||Business Management Intern. La Trobe Communication Clinic|
|Guthrie St Primary School||All disciplines, Programming||Shepparton||Sem 1 2020||1||Student Coding Club Facilitator, Guthrie St Primary School|
|La Trobe University. Human Resources. Organisational Development||Psychology, Business, Law, Humanities, Social Sciences||Bundoora||Sem 1 2020||1||Organisational Development Project Support Coordinator, La Trobe Organisational Development and Design|
|Education City Bendigo||Media & Communications||Bendigo||Sem 1 2020||1 or 2||Social Media Communications Manager Intern. Education City Bendigo|
|La Trobe University, Student Partners Program, Student Success,||Media & Communications, International Relations, Languages, Sociology, Marketing, Human Resources, International Business||Bundoora||Sem 1 2020||1|
Student Coordinator. La Trobe Student Partners Program.
|La Trobe University Student Services and Administration||All disciplines. |
Media & Communications
|Bundoora||Sem 1 2020||1||Student communications and user testing. La Trobe Student Communications|
|La Trobe University Excellence Academy, Student Success||All disciplines, Event Management, Media & Communications||Bundoora||Sem 1 2020||1||Event Coordination Officer. La Trobe University Student Excellence Academy|
|Creeds Farm Living and Learning Centre Inc.||All disciplines. Sociology. Social Research.||Epping North||Sem 1 2020||1||Membership Development Project. Creeds Farm|
|St John Ambulance Australia (Victoria)||Finance, Accounting, Business||Mount Waverley||Sem 1 2020||1||Finance Assistant. St John Ambulance Australia (Victoria)|
|Bendigo FoodShare||Marketing, Media & Communications, Design, Business, Event Management||Long Gully||Sem 1 2020||1||Fundraising and Event Intern. Bendigo FoodShare|
|La Trobe University. Infrastructure & Operations||Media & Communications||Bundoora||Sem 1 2020||1 or 2||Communications Intern. La Trobe Infrastructure & Operations|
|Stanford Marketing Pty Ltd||Event Management, Marketing||Bendigo||Sem 1 2020||1||Event/Marketing Assistant. Stanford Marketing|
|Align.Me||Marketing, Media & Communications, Business||Melbourne||Sem 1 2020||1||Digital Marketing Intern. Align.Me|
If you would like to discuss the suitability of an advertised opportunity for you, please contact the Work Integrated Learning team to discuss.
La Trobe Employment Grants open for applications from around March. The scheme will be open to students undertaking placement within the Semester 1 2020 enrolment period.
Grants have previously been $1000 and are awarded according to financial hardship.
- be enrolled as a domestic undergraduate student
- be enrolled in an undergraduate placement subject as part of your course and undertaking a work placement between 1 January and 30 June 2020
- meet criteria for financial disadvantage and educational disadvantage
Students undertaking more than one placement are only eligible to receive one employment grant per academic year.
Please note that there will be additional application rounds for the employment grants for students undertaking placements in Semester 2 and Summer.
Additional information: La Trobe Employment Grants
Students undertaking elective placement subjects are strongly encouraged to apply for employment grants.