Working With Children Check

Education students will require a Working With Children Check before going on their first placement.

What is it? Why do we need it?

The Working With Children Check (WWCC) helps protect children from physical and sexual harm. It does this by screening people's criminal records and professional conduct and preventing those who pose an unjustifiable risk to children from working with or caring for them.

  • The Victorian Government requires all adults who work or volunteer with children under the age of eighteen to undergo a WWCC.
  • Before you will be allowed to enter any school as part of your professional experience requirements you must undergo a WWCC.

As a provider of Initial Teacher Education programs we, La Trobe University, must ensure all of our pre-service teachers have a valid WWC Check, prior to commencing professional experience.

Once enrolled, apply as soon as possible - applications can take up to 8 weeks to process - sometimes longer.

IMPORTANT:  Students without a valid WWC Check card will not be able to undertake a placement.

To apply for a Working With Children Check, you need to:

  • Visit the Working With Children website [external link]
  • Fill in the online application form.  Use codes 44 & 46 for government and non-government schools;
  • La Trobe University must be listed in the student's application as one of the employers:

    La Trobe University. College of Arts, Social Sciences & Commerce (ASSC)
    ASSC Placement Operations - Professional Experience Office
    1 Kingsbury Drive
    Victoria 3086. Telephone: 03 9479 5904

  • You will need to finalise your application at a participating Victorian Australia Post outlet, using the barcode and instructions that will be emailed to you.
  • Present one acceptable proof of identity document that includes your photo, such as your Australian passport or driver’s licence.
  • Volunteer Checks are free and Australia Post will take your photo at no charge.
  • Once you receive your card in the mail, you will need to upload it to InPlace for the Placements Team to check.  A La Trobe login is required. A copy of your WWCC card must be on InPlace before we can confirm you placement.

Existing Working With Children Cardholders

If you already have a WWCC card, you will still need to go to the Working With Children's website to add:  La Trobe University, College of Arts, Social Sciences & Commerce as one of your employers under “volunteer” organisation.

Visit the WWCC update your details page [external link].

Checks in other Australian States and Territories

Each Australian State and Territory requires people doing child-related work to obtain a Check specific to their state or territory. It is the pre-service teacher's responsibility to make sure they have the appropriate card before undertaking a placement. The States and Territories have reciprocal arrangements and you can undertake your placement in another state using a Victorian Government WWCC if your placement is for 30 days or fewer. Similarly if you have a WWCC issued by another state, you can undertake your placement in Victoria without applying for a Victorian WWCC.  If your placement is for more than 30 days, you will need to apply for a WWCC that corresponds with the state in which you are undertaking your placement.   See Working With Children Check: Working across states and territories for more details.


Direct any queries regarding the WWCC to the ASSC Placements Team:

T:  + 61 3 9479 5904