Permission to work

Coursework students

You are only permitted to work in Australia after you commence your course. International students holding a student visa can work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during semester (including the entire advertised exam periods), or unlimited hours during official University vacations, once granted Permission to Work by the Department of Home Affairs. The permission to work rights are different depending on the visa subclass you have been granted. Please visit the Department of Home Affairs website for working rights and other visa requirements.

All student visas granted from April 2008 include work rights (condition 8105) with your student visa.If your visa was issued before 26 April 2008 and you have not yet applied for Permission to Work, visit the Department of Home Affairs website to find out how to apply. 

In some university courses the demands are heavy and you have little free time for employment. Part-time and vacation work is not always available and you should not depend on this form of income to cover living expenses or tuition fees.

Research students

If you have a subclass 574 (Postgraduate Research) visa you can work unlimited hours once you have commenced your research degree. However according to your candidature rules you can only undertake a maximum of 240 hours of paid employment per year between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm Monday to Friday.

Dependants of international students

Work rights for dependants of international students who hold a student visa are limited to 40 hours work per fortnight at all times, unless the primary visa holder is studying a Master's or doctoral degree and holds a subclass 573 (higher education sector), 574 (postgraduate research sector) or 576 (Australia Awards/Defence sector) student visa. In these cases there is no limit to the number of hours a dependent family member may work.

For further information regarding work rights and other visa requirements, visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

For assistance in finding employment consult the University's Careers Service.