Health insurance

It is a condition of your student visa that you have a valid Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your student visa. Please note: if you are here on a visa other than student visa, you are not eligible for OSHC and need to arrange your own health insurance.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is the minimum level of health insurance international students and their dependants are required to purchase as a condition of their student visa.

Important note: is is a condition of your student visa that you maintain current OSHC for the duration of your visa. If you need to extend your OSHC (e.g. you fail some units and need to extend your time here), you need to do this directly with the OSHC provider.

Purchase OSHC

La Trobe University currently has an agreement with private health fund OSHC by Allianz Global Assistance to provide health cover for our international students. You also have the option to purchase an OSHC policy from any government-approved OSHC provider. If you purchase OSHC through La Trobe University we will advise the Department of Home Affairs of that on your behalf. Under this agreement, you pay the OSHC premium for the entire length of your course with your first instalment of tuition fees. This means that you are covered from the day you arrive in Australia.

The following students are exempt from purchasing the Australian Overseas Student Health Cover as a result of special inter-governmental arrangements:

  • Norwegian students covered by the National Norwegian Insurance Scheme
  • Swedish students may be waved the compulsory OSHC visa requirement. Swedish students whose insurance is provided by CSN International (the Swedish National Board of Student Aid) or Kammakollegiet (the Swedish Legal, Financial and Administration Agency) will not need to take out PSHC. If you are a Swedish student who is not covered by CSN or Kammarkollegiet, you will need to take out OSHC.
  • Belgian students - as a result of an agreement between the Australian and Belgian governments, all Belgian students are considered to have met 'adequate insurance' requirements.

Some countries have a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia and have access to additional services covered by Medicare on top of their compulsory Overseas Student Health Cover. If you are from the United Kingdom, Sweden, the Netherlands, Belgium, Slovenia, and Italy, you will need to visit a Medicare Australia office with your passport and visa to get a reciprocal health care card. To find out about your entitlements under these reciprocal health care agreements, visit the Department of Human Services.

OSHC fees

OSHC by Allianz Global Assistance 2017 fees are listed below. Rates may be subject to change without notice.

Month durationSingleDual familyMulti-family
6 monthsA$330A$1,292A$1,870
12 monthsA$609A$2,375A$3,438
2 yearsA$1,260A$4,662A$6,804
3 yearsA$1,890A$6,615A$10,017
Single policyCovers only the valid student visa holder.
Dual family policyCovers one valid student visa holder plus either one adult spouse or recognised de-facto partner or one or more dependant children.
Multi family policyCovers one student visa holder plus more than one dependant which can only include one adult spouse or recognised de-facto partner and one or more dependant children.

For single semester students, you are required to purchase at least seven months duration of OSHC.

For more information you can see the full listing of OSHC by Allianz Global Assistance (PDF 83KB).

What is covered?

It is important that you read the OSHC Essentials – the policy document and members guide for more details on eligibility, periods of cover, general exclusions, benefits payable and more.

Meet an OSHC representative on campus

A client service representative from Allianz Global Assistance is available to assist you with your OSHC needs and questions Monday to Thursday from 10am to 4pm, at level 3, Sylvia Walton Building.

Note: Your OSHC Representative will be unavailable during the Christmas Holiday Period after Thursday, 22nd December 2016, and return to office from Monday 9th January 2017. During this period you can contact them via Smartphone app (download "My OSHC" from Apple/Google Play Store) or email or phone 13 67 42.

For international students at La Trobe's regional campuses please visit OSHC by Allianz Global Assistance or call 13 6742.

Access medical  services

When you access medical care services, the account will be sent directly to OSHC by Allianz Global Assistance. In some cases you might need to pay a small upfront fee, which you cannot claim back.

Melbourne Campus

La Trobe University Medical Centre
Corner Plenty Road and Kingsbury Drive
T: (03) 9473 8885
Reservoir Medical Group
Corner Plenty and Gremel Roads
T: (03) 9478 2255
Complete Care Medical Centre
190 Albert Street,
T: (03) 9471 0022
Coburg Family Medical Centre
497 Sydney Road, Coburg
T: (03) 9354 4042

Rex Medical Clinic
93-97 Plenty Road Bundoora
T: (03) 9467 7600

City Campus

William Angliss Institute Medical Centre

Level 2, Building C, 555 La Trobe Street, Melbourne

T: (03) 9606 2208

Bendigo Campus

You can make an appointment with the student services receptionist to see the doctor. If you bring your health insurance card to the consultation, the doctor will bulk-bill your insurance company and you won't be charged.

T: (03) 5444 7770

Tristar Medical Group

13/21 Peg Leg Road, Eaglehawk

T: (03) 5446 7755

Albury-Wodonga Campus

Wodonga West Medical Clinic195 Melbourne Road, Wodonga West

Shepparton Campus

T: (02) 6055 2447

Princess Park Clinic
172 Welsford Street Shepparton

T: (03) 5821 9655

Mildura Campus

Tristar Medical Group
87–89 Langtree Avenue Mildura
T: (03) 5023 1200

For a complete list of direct-billing clinics in Victoria, please visit the OSHC by Allianz Global Assistance website.

Did you know?

OSHC by Allianz Global Assistance also offers an emergency interpreting service and a 24-hour legal advice and medical assistance line (free call 1800 814 781).