Loans for overseas study

The Australian Government may allocate a number of OS-HELP loans to La Trobe University annually to help eligible students undertake part of their study overseas in formal exchange programs, short study programs, study tours or clinical/professional placements.

The OS-HELP loan is available as:

Who can apply?

You can apply if you:

  • are enrolled as a Commonwealth Supported Student in a course at La Trobe University
  • are an Australian citizen or permanent humanitarian visa holder or a New Zealand Special Category Visa (NZ SCV) holder who meets the long-term residency requirements
  • have completed 1 year of full-time study (equivalent to 120 credit points) as a Commonwealth supported student in your current enrolled course
  • have at least 0.125 EFTSL (15 credit point subject) of study left after returning
  • will be outside Australia for this study
  • have your overseas study count towards your  current enrolled course requirements
  • have not had more than one OS-HELP loan before
  • will not have two OS-HELP loans that overlap for 6 months.

Check your eligibility

Closing dates

For study overseas on exchange programs in Semester 1 or summer break of any given year, please ensure you submit your application by 1 November in the previous semester.

For study overseas on exchange programs in Semester 2 or winter break of any given year, please ensure you submit your application by 1 May in the previous semester.

Applications for OS-Help loans for study tours, some short courses or clinical/professional placements will be accepted at any time but may not be reviewed immediately. Allow up to a minimum of 6 weeks before departure for the application to be assessed.

How do I apply?

Check your eligibility for OS-HELP, then complete the online OS-HELP application form. Include all required supporting documentation:

  • the Overseas Study Program (OSP) form, or an approved Study Plan from your College, or a letter/email from the Course Coordinator or Head of Department confirming the credit points received for the overseas study upon return
  • an optional personal statement (of no more than 500 words) in support of your application on socioeconomic grounds. Please refer to the OS-HELP loans policy for details required in your statement
Please note the following:

As part of the application process, students will require Course/Discipline approval to participate in one of the University's recognised exchange programs. This includes detailed documentation of the advanced standing (credit) they will receive on their return. We recommend you use the study plan section of the semester exchange or short program applications.

Successful applications

The OS-HELP loan application will be assessed up to six weeks prior to departure date. Application outcomes are sent to your La Trobe email address.

If a loan is offered and accepted, you will need to fill out an OS-HELP Debt Acceptance Form, an OS-HELP Requisition Form, and submit the OS-HELP eCAF through StudentOnLine and supply your banking details. Payments will be made into the nominated bank account within two weeks of when all the documentation is finalised.

Once a loan is approved it cannot be cancelled and requests for additional funds on top of the approved loan are not permitted.

Loan repayment

For detailed information on how the OS-HELP loan is repaid, visit the Loan Repayment section of the government's Study Assist site.

The myUniAssist function on the Study Assist website can help you keep track of your loan repayments and remaining entitlements.

Students are limited to two OS-HELP loans over a lifetime, with a limit of one OS-HELP loan per six-month period.


OS-HELP loans will be allocated to eligible students as detailed in the:

OS-HELP Loans Policy and Procedure

More information

See the OS-HELP section of the government's Study Assist site.