Place of birth: Melbourne
Sporting career highlights:
- Competing at Australian National Championships for all-star cheerleading and dance. Winning a bid to the IASF Dance World Championships in Florida, USA – in the Pom (dance) division.
- Competing at NDA Daytona Beach International Classic for Pom and placing first
- Competing at IASF Worlds in 2012, in the Pom division. Being the highest scoring Australian team.
At what age did you start seriously training and competing in your sport?
Started both cheerleading and pom in 2008, trained 2-4 times a week. All-Star cheer and dance is growing so quickly in Australia, but the community was significantly smaller than it is now. When our club was small, the same team would compete in both cheer and pom (dance) divisions. Now it is not as common for higher level athletes to compete in both divisions as each require different abilities and the skill difficulty level expectancy is much higher. Started competing in only the Pom division in 2011, still training 3 times a week. Won the bid to Worlds at Nationals and trained full time leading up to Worlds in 2012.
What got your started in the sport?
Friends heard about cheerleading so we joined a team together. Started Pom at the same time, competing and training in both until focusing only on Pom in 2011.
Are other family members involved in sport?
Not really, other than mum being related to the late AFL coach Allan Jeans.
Who has been the biggest influence in your sporting career?
The couple of coaches that I have had over the years and the way my first coach taught us to train. The other girls on my team are the best for support and always keeping the vibes positive at training.
Who has been the biggest influence in your academic life?
Mostly my friends, coaches and some teachers with their time management help. Sometimes juggling uni, training and work can get a bit difficult if you don't have a good routine.
Do you support any other sport and/or teams?
My favourite Pom teams to watch are University of Minnesota, Floyd Central High School, both from the US. Japan and Mexico are also always amazing to watch. In AFL I support the Richmond Tigers.
How do you relax? Do you have other life interests outside of your sport?
If I've got any spare time I'll try and go out with friends, spend time with family, go shopping.
- What is one thing that might surprise readers to learn about you?
- I'm vegetarian.
- I started Nursing before transferring to Nutrition.
What is your favourite food? Movie? Music performer(s)?
- Anything with peanut butter or avocado!
- Grease, Bridesmaids, Harry Potter
- Chet Faker, Beyonce, Jack Johnson.
What was the best advice you were ever given?
Only perfect practice makes perfect.