La Trobe Sport and Exercise Medicine Research Centre
BSc; BSc (Hons I); PhD
Membership of professional associations
Sports Medicine Australia, International Patellofemoral Research Network, Osteoarthritis Research Society International
Area of study
Prosthetics and Orthotics
Harvi Hart completed her PhD focusing on psychological, functional and biomechanical impairments, and the effect of a targeted brace in people with post-traumatic knee osteoarthritis after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction at The University of Melbourne in 2005. She is currently a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the La Trobe Sport and Exercise Medicine Research Centre (La Trobe University, Australia) and the Wolf Orthopaedics Biomechanics Laboratory (University of Western Ontario, Canada). Harvi’s broad research disciplines are knee pain and osteoarthritis, rehabilitation, and human movement.
Harvi has won several awards for her research including the ASICS Ken Maquire Award for Best New Investigator in Clinical Sports Medicine, the Inaugural Brian Sando Award for Clinical Sports Medicine Research, an Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OARSI) Collaborative Research Award, and a Commonwealth Government Endeavour Research Fellowship Award. Harvi is a member of the OARSI Young Investigator Sub Committee, International Patellofemoral Research Network, and the British Journal of Sports Medicine Systematic Review Methodological Quality Committee.
- Patellofemoral Pain, Osteoarthritis
- ACL reconstruction
- Gait patterns, symptoms, and function in patients with isolated tibiofemoral osteoarthritis and combined tibiofemoral and patellofemoral osteoarthritis. Hart HF, Crossley KM, Hunt MA. J Orthop Res. 2017 Nov 15. doi: 10.1002/jor.23805.
- Patellofemoral and tibiofemoral alignment in a fully weight-bearing upright MR: Implementation and repeatability. Macri EM, Crossley KM, d'Entremont AG, Hart HF, Forster BB, Wilson DR, Ratzlaff CR, Walsh AM, Khan KM. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2017 Aug 21. doi: 10.1002/jmri.25823.
- The prevalence of radiographic and MRI-defined patellofemoral osteoarthritis and structural pathology: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hart HF, Stefanik JJ, Wyndow N, Machotka Z, Crossley KM. Br J Sports Med. 2017 Aug;51(16):1195-1208. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2017-097515. Epub 2017 Apr 29.
- Bracing of the Reconstructed and Osteoarthritic Knee during High Dynamic Load Tasks. Hart HF, Crossley KM, Collins NJ, Ackland DC. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2017 Jun;49(6):1086-1096. doi: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000001201.
- Is body mass index associated with patellofemoral pain and patellofemoral osteoarthritis? A systematic review and meta-regression and analysis. Hart HF, Barton CJ, Khan KM, Riel H, Crossley KM. Br J Sports Med. 2017 May;51(10):781-790. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2016-096768. Epub 2016 Dec 7.
- Immediate Effects of a Brace on Gait Biomechanics for Predominant Lateral Knee Osteoarthritis and Valgus Malalignment After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Hart HF, Collins NJ, Ackland DC, Cowan SM, Hunt MA, Crossley KM. Am J Sports Med. 2016 Apr;44(4):865-73. doi: 10.1177/0363546515624677. Epub 2016 Feb 3.
- Knee kinematics and joint moments during gait following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hart HF, Culvenor AG, Collins NJ, Ackland DC, Cowan SM, Machotka Z, Crossley KM. Br J Sports Med. 2016 May;50(10):597-612. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2015-094797.
- Effects of an unloader knee brace on knee-related symptoms and function in people with post-traumatic knee osteoarthritis after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Hart HF, Crossley KM, Ackland DC, Cowan SM, Collins NJ. Knee. 2016 Jan;23(1):85-90. doi: 10.1016/j.knee.2015.05.006.
- Gait Characteristics of People with Lateral Knee Osteoarthritis after ACL Reconstruction. Hart HF, Collins NJ, Ackland DC, Cowan SM, Crossley KM. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2015 Nov;47(11):2406-15. doi: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000000671.
- Infrapatellar fat pad volume is greater in individuals with patellofemoral joint osteoarthritis and associated with pain. Cowan SM, Hart HF, Warden SJ, Crossley KM. Rheumatol Int. 2015 Aug;35(8):1439-42. doi: 10.1007/s00296-015-3250-0. Epub 2015 Mar 18.
- Is impaired knee confidence related to worse kinesiophobia, symptoms, and physical function in people with knee osteoarthritis after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction? Hart HF, Collins NJ, Ackland DC, Crossley KM. J Sci Med Sport. 2015 Sep;18(5):512-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jsams.2014.09.011. Epub 2014 Sep 30.
- The effects of a varus unloader brace for lateral tibiofemoral osteoarthritis and valgus malalignment after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a single case study. Hart HF, Ackland DC, Schache AG, Pandy MG, Collins NJ, Crossley KM. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact. 2013 Dec;13(4):496-500
- Quadriceps volumes are reduced in people with patellofemoral joint osteoarthritis. Hart HF, Ackland DC, Pandy MG, Crossley KM. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2012 Aug;20(8):863-8. doi: 10.1016/j.joca.2012.04.009. Epub 2012 Apr 21